Home My YFS

Knockout Cup Final awaits for Cumbernauld Colts

Written by 


Cumbernauld Colts
U16's Knockout Cup
17 March 2014
Cumbernauld eased there way into there 2nd cup final so far this season with a  workman like performance against a Lenzie side that fought all the way. Conditions at Ravenswood were far from ideal as a strong wind dictated play and the heavy pitch with the bobely surface being a hinderence to both teams as these factors contributed largely to many passes being misplaced and the break up of play.
Cumbernauld started on the front foot with the wind at there backs and had all the pressure first half. It was no surprise when they took an early lead after good work inside the box by Sam Rodger picking out Jordan Pirrie with a pass which saw his shot deflected and going up and over the diving Lenzie keeper.  Shortly after Pirrie had a good shot at goal from 20 yards tipped over by the busy keeper.
2-0 came when Sam Rodger kept his cool inside the box after a Ryan Milne pass which found its way into the net after good finishing.  The home side kept up the first half pressure which saw a Blair Bateman shot from a corner come back off the bar. Mark Anthony Byrne also thought he had scored with a thunderbolt of a drive only for a Lenzie defender to throw a block in its way. 
3-0 came the home sides way after Danny Lennox cut inside from the flank to unleash a great strike in which the keeper had no chance with.
Half Time: Cumbernauld 3-0 Lenzie
The second half saw Lenzie start the better and with the wind advantage created a few openings but Colts keeper Ewan Walker dealt with them. Lenzie almost scored after they hit the woodwork from an attack on the home goal. The away team also caused a few scares as they also came close from two quick corner kicks but couldn't find the net.
Cumbernauld sub Connor Mcateer was through on goal twice but lacked the killer touch in front of goal to put the tie out of reach of Lenzie. Sam Rodger again had a chance to make it 4-0 but saw his shot go just past the post.
He did make amends and scored his teams fourth goal after latching onto a pass from Josh Devine and kept his composure in front of goal to see his shot in the bottom corner to put the tie to bed. Danny Mcallister saw his comeback from a broken leg take another step forward as he played a solid hour of the game before being replaced. Sub Jamie Rafferty nearly made it 5-0 but the keeper made a save from his header. Also Josh Devine after dribbling out from his own half nearly scored but the keeper made a fine save.
Cumbernauld now await the winners of Glenboig and Syngenta in the final.
Full Time: Cumbernauld 4-0 Lenzie
Login to post comments