Home My YFS

Second half comeback from Syngenta books semi spot

Mill United 1


Syngenta Juveniles 3

Paterson, McEwan, Rae
  • Sunday, 09 February 2014
  • Fairhill, Hamilton
  • Under 17´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Quarter Final

John Cox | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]o.uk

Mill United and Syngenta Juveniles played in the Scottish Cup quarter final on a cold day in Hamilton. The visitors won 3-1, thanks to goals from Jordan Paterson, Jay McEwan and Greig Rae. Dylan Bradley put Mill in front in the first half, but they couldn't fight off a Sygenta comeback.
The game started lively, with both sides having a share of possession. Syngenta had a couple of early chances, but they came to nothing. About 10 minutes in and they did get a corner, which found the boot of Kieran Lewis but the Mill goalkeeper wasn't troubled and made an easy save.
Mill wasted no time in counter attacking, and they had a corner of their own a few moments later. A good ball in from Murdoch found Stephen Young in the box, but his header went just by the post. They would be on the attack soon after this, a good run down the wing, then cross along the ground by Young was unlucky not to get to a striker, as Sean Brown came out to collect it.
Mill won a free-kick 10 minutes after this, which was conceded by Grant Walker of Syngenta after a mistimed tackle on Young. The ball was played into the box by Ryan Murdoch, and after a scramble, Dylan Bradley, with his toe put the ball by the Syngenta 'keeper to make 1-0 to the home team.
This goal seemed to influence how Syngenta played, and for the rest of the half they were the better team. A good diving header from Jay McEwan forced a save from Ryan Tweedlie, whilst a run from Gregor Munro was stopped by Jamie Clement. They won a free-kick about 30 yards out, which was a powerful shot along the ground but didn't trouble the goalie.
  • Half Time:
  • Mill United
  • 1-0
  • Syngenta Juveniles
The wind picked up in the second half, blowing towards the goal to where Syngenta were shooting. They had a chance right at the start of the half through Christopher Hamilton but the ball was cleared.
Mill didn't have a lot of chances in the second period, but one of the few was a cracking shot from Gerrard which hut the outside of the post and went for a goal kick.
The visitors were back on the attack, and a run from Ross Mackenzie won them a corner. It was swung in, and a strong header from Kieran Lewis was saved by Tweedlie. The ball would be played back to the Grangemouth team soon after, and a cross/shot from Munro hit the Mill bar. Syngenta would continue to press, and they got their reward for doing so. A ball into the box which wasn't cleared by the defence left Jordan Paterson with a one-on-one and he made no mistake by putting the ball into the bottom corner.
Murdoch and Farrel of Mill United played a good one-two pass to put Murdoch through on goal, but with a tight angle his shot was straight at Sean Brown. With the wind still in Syngenta's favour, the ball was sent up the park, and after some passing, the goalscorer found himself through again but his shot went by the post.
Syngenta were playing good football, and after a string of passes being put together, Jay McEwan was on the corner of the box. The goalkeeper came rushing out to him but the striker composed himself to chip the ball over him. A great finish which put the visitors in the lead.
About 10 minutes of the game reminded, and with Mill needing a goal, they went for it. Farrel stung the hands of Brown with a shot, but they were left exposed at the back when MacKenzie and another Syngenta player were through and after racing back, the defence of Mill got it cleared far up the park in which Syngenta were awarded a free-kick.
Probably everyone expected Greig Rad to get the ball as far down the park as possible with the free-kick, considering it was in the semi-circle of his own half. He played a long ball down which took one bounce and didn't find anyone's head, and it flew into the top corner of the goal. The Syngenta team were delighted and knew that they had a place in the semi-final now.
  • Full Time:
  • Mill United
  • 1-3
  • Syngenta Juveniles


Mill United
Syngenta Juveniles

1. Ryan Tweedlie
2. Euan Gordon
3. Greg Robertson
4. Andrew Clement
5. Callum Murphy
6. Ryan Murdoch
7. Dylan Bradley
8. Jamie Clement
9. Ryan Farrel
10. Craig Forbes
11. Stephen Young
15. Adam Gerrard
17. Dylon Mclauchlan
19. Sam Blance

1. Sean Brown
3. Andrew Macnally
4. Greg Binnie
5. Gregor Munro
6. Greig Rae
7. Andrew McNee
8. Andrew Morrison
9. Christopher Hamilton
10. Jordan Paterson
11. Ross Mackenzie
14. Grant Walker
15. Kieran Lewis
16. Jay McMahon
17. Jay McEwan

Star Player
Mill United
Syngenta Juveniles
Dylan Bradley was Mill's best player, he worked tirelessly for his team and got a goal. He barely played a wrong pass and didn't give up.
For Syngenta's star player I've chosen Andrew McNee as he was one of the best players on the park. He wasn't involved in any of the goals, but he commanded his team from start to finish and didn't stop when Syngenta scored their third.
Magic Moment
Mill United
Syngenta Juveniles
At the start of the second half, Adam Gerrard hut the post with a long range shot, very unlucky not to score.
The third goal, nobody expected Rae to go for goal, but the wind-assisted free kick bounced into the Mill net from just inside the Syngenta half.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments