Home My YFS

Ten man Barrhead stun West Park to advance

West Park United 3

Jack, McGregor, Kerr

Barrhead YFC 3

Etherson (2), McGaughey
  • Final Result: West Park United 3-3 Barrhead YFC (AET, Barrhead win 6-5 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 02 February 2014
  • Merklands 3G, Kirkintilloch
  • Under 19´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Quarter Final
Barrhead travelled to the home of the current Glasgow & District YFL league leaders on Sunday for their quarter final tie at Merklands 3G in Kirkintilloch. The tie matched two current holders of the West Region Cup - West Park at Under 19 level and Barrhead at Under 17.
With the pitch situated high up it was exposed to the elements, although gladly the rain stayed off and the wind wasnt too bad, although it did effect the overall quality of the game.
West Park won the toss and chose to go with the wind in the first half and with the sun breaking through the Barrhead defence were going to be worked in the opening spell.
That said, West Park failed to capatilise in the elements and it was Barrhead who opened the scoring in the 22nd minute. A fast breakaway from Fraser McLaughlin resulted in the West Park goalkeeper coming right out to the edge of his box and fouling him, resulting in a penalty to Barrhead. Tony Etherson coolly slotted the kick away. The keeper received a booking for the tackle.
West Park got back into the game on the 30th minute when a free kick from Ryan Jack on the right was swung in and went straight over everybody including the Barrhead keeper to bring things level at 1-1.
With their tails up, West Park continued to press and were rewarded with just a minute left of the half. Connor McGregor latched onto a cross ball from the left and he volleyed it in from 10 yards out.
  • Half Time:
  • West Park United
  • 2-1
  • Barrhead YFC
Barrhead knew that they would have to play a lot better to progress into the semi, and the turn around saw them benefit from the wind at their backs. They pressed from the start and created a couple of half chances and limited West Park's threat.
However, with 19 mins gone of the second half , Barrhead were dealt a blow when their forward Brian Ashe was red carded for a tackle at the edge of the pitch. It left the visitors with a mountain to climb.
However, this brought a new found urgency to Barrhead and the 10 men started to play the better football and created a number of chances, including a shot that came off the post.
With just 8 mins left on the clock, Barrhead were rewarded for their efforts. A Thomas McGaughey free kick was beautifully met by Tony Etherson who headed it past the keeper to square things up at 2-2 and take the game into extra time.
  • Full Time:
  • West Park United
  • 2-2
  • Barrhead YFC

The start of extra time saw Barrhead have the advantage of the wind and despite their numerical inferiority, the visitors took the game to West Park from the start. 8 mins into the first half Barrhead took the lead again. McGaughey shot from about 12 yards through a crowd of players, leaving the West Park keeper helpless.

The tempo of the game started to take its toll on the Barrhead players but the desire to win the game was there to see by everyone. The half ended with Barrhead on the ascendency and were unfortunate not to extend their lead with some good passing play which created a couple of half chances.

West Park knew the last 15 minutes was going to be all or nothing and threw everything into getting an equaliser, including moving their Central defender into a centre forward position.

The pressure on the away goal grew and Park eventually broke through with just 3 minutes remaining. Steven Kerr placed it in the back of the net which meant that the tie went to penalties.

West Park went first with the spot kick and to both keepers credit they saved both of the opening efforts. With another save each, after 5 penalties it ended up 3-3 and into sudden death.

West Park eventually missed their eighth kick which meant John Middleton had the chance to put Barrhead YFC into their first Scottish Cup semi. Middleton made no mistake, sending the keeper the wrong way and sending the away players and support into joyous scenes.

Overall it was a great Scottish Cup tie. Barrhead advance to a semi final against Baillieston Juniors or North Merchiston, whereas West Park will return to the mission of defending their domestic double.

Final Result: Final Result: West Park United 3-3 Barrhead YFC (AET, Barrhead win 6-5 on penalties)


West Park United
Barrhead YFC
Callum McBain
Ross Bartley
Derek Wheeler
Ben Collins
Steven Kerr
Steven McGuire
Jono McClusky
Billy Kennedy
Steffan Graham
Ryan Jack
Connor McGregor
Dean Sutherland
Daryl Naismith
Paul Coyle
Jame Beattie
Eoghan McEwan
Mark Parsons
Fraser McLaughlin
John Middleton
Tony Etherson
Ryan Bell
Brian Ashe
Sam McNeil
Bani Nhlapo
Thomas McGaughey
Jack Easdon
Gavin Brown
Ciaran O'Donohue
Ryan Anderson
Graham Haughie
Alistair Hughes
Conor Bradley
Star Player
West Park United
Barrhead YFC
Callum McBain had an excellent game between the sticks for West Park, pulling off a number of good saves.
McGaughey set up a goal and scored one himself, as well as putting in an excellent shift throughout.
Magic Moment
West Park United
Barrhead YFC
Kerr's extra time goal came when it looked like the tie was over for West Park and it sparked a frantic final few minutes.
Middleton's winning penalty sparked wild celebrations from the Barrhead team - and understandably so after playing for so long with ten men.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments