Home My YFS

Milan continue fine form in FVFDA Cup win

Written by 


Milan BC
Milton Reds
Under 16's FVFDA Cup
Venue: Coatbridge, St Ambrose High School
03 February 2014
On Saturday 1st February Milton Reds 98’s under 16’s, travelled to Coatbridge to take on Milan Boy’s Club in the 2nd round of the FVFDA Cup. Milan presently top the FVFDA league having won their opening 15 matches. Milton Red’s lost out in their opening match of the season to Milan and that has been their one and only defeat in a tough season.
The match was played on the 3G pitch at St Ambrose High School in Coatbridge. Although the underfoot conditions were good, the strong blustery wind and driving rain was a factor which would influence the manner in which both teams would play.
Milton started with the wind at their backs but it seemed to be a disadvantage as pass after pass was blown ahead of their eager forwards as Milton pushed forward looking for an early breakthrough.
In the 33rd minute Milton were awarded a penalty but from the resulting spotkick Milton’s Simon White had to watch agonisingly as his effort was pushed on to the post and then bounced back right into the hands of Milan keeper Bennett. Milton were left to rue their misfortune when within a minute Milan broke upfield and a lob from well out in their left side of the park looped high into the top corner of the Milton net. 
Milton pressed hard for the equaliser and after Bennett had parried a Callum Brown Free kick back out in front of the goal area, Milan cleared down field then got a lucky break of the ball to then fire goal number two for the home side. 
Half Time: Milan BC 2-0 Milton Reds
After the break and with Milton now having the gusting wind blowing towards them, Milton pressed for the goal which could get them back into the cup tie but were rocked when the impressive Mitchell Barclay was given acre’s of space to drive in and fire the ball passed Liam Stirling for Milan’s third goal.
Milton regrouped and continued to press for the goal that they felt their efforts deserved. In the 21st minute of the second half the goal duly came when Midfielder Ross Leary headed home from a White free kick. Milton again were denied by the woodwork when a Brown free kick came back off the post but as Milton pressed forward they finally reduced the deficit to a single goal when Greig Ballantyne fired home after a number of efforts had been blocked by the under pressure Milan defence.
With only three minutes remaining of normal time Milton finally completed the comeback when White atoned for his earlier spotkick miss when he fired home from 25yards high into the Milan net for a deserved equaliser. There was no further scoring and with the game now level extra time was required to decide a winner. 
Full Time: Milan BC 3-3 Milton Reds
In the opening minute of the first part of extra time Milton opened up the Milan defence and were again unlucky as Ballantyne’s finish to a great move crashed back off the upright with Milan keeper Bennett stranded. Milan took advantage of the break when they retook the lead in this keenly contested cup tie.
The teams turned around for the second part of extra time and Milan must have thought that they had finally won the tie when they scored again to put themselves two ahead.
Milton however kept pressing forward and were rewarded with three minutes left, when full-back Ben McLaughlan scrambled the ball over the line after more desperate defending by Milan. The remaining minutes passed and with no further scoring the referee’s whistle brought the match to an end with Milan the victors by a solitary goal.
Milton’s next match will be Saturday 8th February away to Riverside Reds in a League match. 
Final Score A.E.T: Milan BC 5-4 Milton Reds
Login to post comments