Home My YFS

Defences prevail between Milton Reds and Grahamston

Written by 


Milton Reds
U16's FVFDA LeagueMatch
11 January 2014
On Saturday 11th January Milton Reds 98’s under 16’s, after their Christmas break, played their fourteenth league fixture of the season and at home to Grahamston.
The park at Braehead just managed to pass the referees pitch inspection and went ahead although the surface was not in great condition.
Due to the early frost it was always going to be very difficult for the players to keep controlled possession on the slippery surface. Both teams struggled initially and play was rather scrappy with neither side able to get into any rhythm into their play. Milton came close to breaking the deadlock when a Jake Hurry free kick cannoned back off the upright with the keeper well beaten. Grahamston threatened with a series of corners and a number of free kicks around the Milton area but Milton keeper Liam Stirling dealt comfortably with anything that came his way. 
Five minutes from the break Milton’s Hamish Anderson pulled up with an injury and was replaced with substitute Callum Brown. Within minutes of his introduction, Brown took on his marker, drove past him and fired a great shot goalwards. Grahamston’s keeper Craig McIntosh dived full length and just managed to finger tip the goal bound shot wide of the post. Great shot, fantastic save. The first half came to a close with the score tied nil nil.
Half Time: Milton Reds 0-0 Grahamston
The second half restarted with both teams trying hard for the breakthrough. Milton had a strong appeal for a penalty when Hurry was brought crashing to the ground inside the area but the referee waved away their appeal. Milton then thought they had made the breakthrough when Brown curled a tremendous shot direct from the corner into the goal and McIntosh had to scoop the ball out from over the line, but the referee’s positioning made it impossible to determine whether the whole ball had crossed the line therefore he waved play on. 
As time wore on Milton increased the pressure for the elusive goal to win the game but finally ran out of time. When the final whistle blew, Milton were disappointed to drop two valuable points in their quest to retain their title as league Champions but congratulated their opponents, Grahamston who’s hard work had deservedly earned them a share of the points.
Milton Reds will now have another tough league fixture at home when they take on Bo'ness United at Braehead Park.  Bo'ness have won ten of their eleven league matches, drawing the other match. 
Full Time: Milton Reds 0-0 Grahamston
Login to post comments