Home My YFS

Blantyre battle to victory against Wishaw

Written by 


Blantyre Soccer Academy
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers 
U19's LFDA League
24 November 2013
A hard fought game, which went right to the end, Blantyre on 4-3. With Wishaw having a man sent off, with two yellow cards, in the final minutes of the game. It was like two rivals competing, as each team was physical. The referee made some contentious decisions.
Blantyre kicked the game off and Shaun Malone was effective down the right wing shooting wide in the opening minutes of the game. Wishaw pressured Blantyre on the ball in the opening minutes. Wishaw’s James da Costa took the first free kick of the game, which flew over the bar.
It wasn’t before long Blantyre’s pressure on the right flank proved to be costly for Wishaw as Shaun Malone broke into the box, one on one with the keeper, he concisely chipped Stuart Muir to open the scoring. A fine finish from the right winger in the 4th minute. 1-0 to Blantyre.
Blantyre kept the pressure on Wishaw with Malone threading the ball through to Scott McKean but he couldn’t get the ball out of his feet, Wishaw’s keeper Stuart Muir retains the ball.
Blantyre’s Shaun Malone is in the frame yet again passing low in the box trying to find a teammate but Stuart Muir is first to the ball. In the 9th minute Blantyre’s Thomas McEntee is caught offside.
Shot from Blantyre’s captain Calum Donnelly but stopped by a fantastic save from Stuart Muir. More pressure from Blantyre as Stuart Muir slides into Blantyre’s Jack Murphy, keeping the score sheet down.
Blantyre retained control of possession with Wishaw’s first attacking opportunity from a free kick in the center circle, a collision between Blantyre’s goalkeeper Vincent Linden and Wishaw’s Andrew Gardener shaking up both players in the first twenty minutes.
Wishaw’s goalkeeper was impressive in averting any dangerous through balls which Blantyre were susceptible to find the space behind the Wishaw defenders using pace.
Foul on Wishaw’s Adam Hughes just outside the box. In the 25th minute Wishaw brings it back level with a fantastic strike from Jay Nielson placing the ball in the top left corner. A composed finish from the set piece to bring Wishaw back to 1-1.
Wishaw on the front foot James da Costa scored a brilliant goal in the bottom left corner, out of reach for Vincent Linden as he found space behind the Blantyre defenders. 27th minute 1-2.
But Blantyre bounced back as Thomas McEntee assists Dean Flannery minutes later. They also had a free kick with Scott McKean taking it brilliantly, hitting the crossbar another fantastic save from Stuart Muir. 28th minute 2-2.
With a free kick to Blantyre in the right corner Scott McKean hitting the woodwork with a follow up from Dean Flannery but yet another fine save from Stuart Muir denying Blantyre yet again.
Wishaw put pressure on Blantyre as Adam Hughes is fouled outside the box in the 33rd minute. James da Costa going for his second goal of the game. Only to have Vincent Linden batting the ball away.
The first half ends at 2-2 with both teams fighting for all three points, it’s becoming a more physical game with many 50-50’s being won in the middle of the park.
Half time: Blantyre Soccer Academy 2-2 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Wishaw start the second half, only for Blantyre’s skipper Calum Donnelly misses wide of the post.
Blanyre’s Scott McKean popped up again and assisted Shaun Malone in the 50th minute. Malone was one on one with Stuart Muir as he slides it home to make it 3-2.
Blantyre were still on the front foot keeping pressure on Wishaw.
The first yellow card of the game went to Wishaw’s Scott Crawford due to multiple reckless tackles in the 68th minute. Blantyre’s Malone took the free kick only to hit it wide of the target.
Blantyre’s Jamie McNeill hits over the bar looking to finish Wishaw off.
In the 65th minute Blantyre appeal for a penalty, as Malone is challenged in the box
In the 75th minute Wishaw’s Chris Keegan scored a speculative effort 40 yards out hitting the cross-bar giving Vincient Linden no chance. 3-3
Blantyre kicked back quickly as Jamie McNeill put the nail in the coffin for Wishaw finishing in the 77th minute. But a contentious decision from the referee as the ball was claimed to be out of play, and also possibly offside.
Another yellow card for Wisaw’s Dylan Yardley, and shortly after Scott Stewart in the 80th minute. Wishaw picked up another yellow this time the goal scorer Chris Keegan.
A brilliant run through by Blantyre’s Scott Moore but Wishaw’s Scott Crawford makes an attempt for the ball. Crawford’s reckless challenge gave the referee no decision but to book him again.
Two yellow cards for the defender. It also looks like Scott Moore was injured and is unlikely to compete next week in Blantyre’s last 16 cup game.
Overall, the game was close both teams fighting for the three points. Each team showed class in the middle of the park.
Full time: Blantyre Soccer Academy 4-3 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
MOTM: Wishaw – Chris Keegan – strong in defense, and his wonder strike was the best goal of the match
MOTM: Blantyre – Shaun Malone – his runs down the right flank and his finish chipping Wishaw’s keeper in the first half showed class and composure.
Post Match Interviews
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderer's coach John Dallas:
"Shaky ten minutes to start with, we grew into the game. They scored an early goal which was offside. Slow start to the second half. Even between the two times. Referee made a bad decision as the ball went out of play. The last ten minutes was heated. Last time we played them we were beaten 7-1 so it's an improvement."
Blantyre Soccer Academy coach Jim Sneddon
"We thought that the result mattered most than the performance. The positives we will take is the energy and level of performance. Played with a 4-4-1-1 Scott just plays off the striker. The referee could have controlled the match better."
Login to post comments