Home My YFS
Sunday, 09 June 2013 16:55

Tass see off KSC to continue winning weekend

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Tass Thistle
KSC Phoenix


U14 CYP Cup - Final
Dam Park, Ayr

Ross Mitchell

By Ross Mitchell
YFS South West Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @RossMitchell9

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

After a long, hard season both teams playing in today’s final were looking to earn some silverware for their efforts over the year.  It was Tass who went home the happier of the two sides as they won in a game which they controlled for the majority of.

Kilwinning started the game at a lightning pace and could have been ahead within ten seconds.  From kick off the ball was played to Jack Ryan who’s long ball put John Jamieson through against the Tass keeper.  Jamieson took the shot early and his effort flew wide of the post.

Tass responded to their opponent’s early chance by keeping the ball well and creating plenty of chances for themselves throughout the remainder of the half.  Their first effort came in from Josh Lafferty who was given the ball on the edge of the box.  Lafferty’s fierce right-footed shot was matched by Sean Cunningham who was at full-stretch to prevent the game’s opening goal.

Moments later, Tass were able to open the scoring.  A long clearance from defence turned into a pass which put Liam Cairns through on goal.  The attacker was able to lob the keeper from the edge of the box and he saw the ball roll over the line to give his side an early lead in the final.

Tass continued to press even after their opener and had a good effort saved which nearly doubled their lead.  A loose ball fell kindly to Jack McWilliams who took his shot early from twenty-five yards from goal.  His effort was going in but another great Cunningham save meant the sides remained only one goal apart.

Just before the break Kilwinning were nearly able to draw themselves level.  Morgan Loudon’s pass found Ryan Strain who bet the defender to the ball.  Strain tried to lob the keeper from a tight angle but his shot finished wide of the post.

At half time, Tass led 1 – 0.  They deserved their lead as they were the better side across the half.

Half Time:  Tass Thistle 1 – 0 KSC Phoenix

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Tass looking the better side and creating chances at will.  Jack Frew was involved again as his play down the right wing created enough space for the winger to get a cross away to the backpost.  Liam Cairns won his header on the six yard box but his effort flew over the bar.

Despite being under a lot of pressure Kilwinning were able to carve out some decent chances on the counter.  Ryan Strain found himself out on the right wing and got a good cross into the area.  Morgan Loudon won the cross but his headed shot went over the bar.

Jack Frew was involved again as he and his team mates went searching for a second goal.  He showed some nice skill to beat defenders as he cut inside from the right wing.  He squared the ball to Fraser Bryden twenty yards from goal.  Bryden got a placed shot away but it was easily saved.

With their next attack Tass did find their second goal and a little breathing space.  A long kick from substitute keeper Ryan Millar put Jack Frew through on goal.  The winger allowed the ball to bounce which forced him a little wider than he would like.  Frew, though, smashed the ball at goal from the tight angle and his effort ended up just inside the far post to double his side’s lead.

The next action in the game saw Kilwinning being awarded for a penalty which looked very soft as nobody appealed for the kick.  Logan Craig stepped up but his powerful strike was saved by Ryan Millar who guessed the right way.

With five minutes remaining in the match Tass were able to add a third goal.  Lee Horn took the ball in twenty-five yards from goal with his back to goal.  He took a shot as he turned and his effort flew into the back of the net to give his side their third goal of the day.

At full time Tass had ran out comfortable 3 – 0 winners.  They deserved their win as they were the better side throughout the match and were able to take the chances that presented themselves unlike their opponents.

The result comes after Tass Thistle triumphed at the Under 13, Under 15 and Under 16 age groups in yesterday's CYP Cup finals.

Full Time:  Tass Thistle 3 – 0 KSC Phoenix


Tass Thistle KSC Phoenix
1.  Dylan Jackson
2.  Blair Gray
3.  Allan McEwan
4.  Fraser Brydon
5.  David Gibbons
6.  Jack Frew
8.  Dylan Higgins
9.  Jack McWilliams
10.  Marley McGuiness
11.  Liam Cairns
12.  Josh Lafferty
14.  Kieran Tulloch
15.  Lee Horn
16.  Adam Fullen
17. Ryan Millar (GK)

1.  Sean Cunningham
2.  Logan Craig
3.  Mitchell Spence
4.  Rhys Bradford
5.  Brandon Taylor
7.  Mark MacKenzie
8.  Robert Steele
9.  Ryan Strain
10.  Aiden Smith
12.  Paulo Harkness
14.  Morgan Loudon
15.  John Jamieson
16.  Fraser Pierce
17.  Jack Ryan
19.  Logan Craig
20.  Lewis Gardiner
21.  Craig Maxwell
Jack Frew was a constant threat down the right wing.  His pace and trickery caused problems.  Deserved his goal.    
John Jamieson looked menacing all afternoon.  His pace and strength meant he found himself in good positions but he just couldn’t finish the chances he got.
Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 22:35
Login to post comments