Home My YFS
Wednesday, 22 May 2013 22:05

Cup winners Rose blossom against tired Tranent

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Bonnyrigg Rose Ath.
Tranent Juniors

Neave 4' 23'
Gallagher 21' 40'
Knight 50'
Wojtowycz 10' 77'


U21's John Murphy Trophy Final
Penicuik Ath. FC Ground


By Brian McNally
YFS South East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery | Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 'A' were crowned John Murphy Trophy champions after annihilating a surprisingly ineffectual Tranent Juniors side at Penicuik Athletic FC's home ground.

The final began at a frantic pace, both teams eager to bag an early goal in the slippery conditions. The earliest of the opportunities came Bonnyrigg's way, with Darrell Young diverting a header from the talented Blair Dickson's cross narrowly over the bar.

A theme that would unfold throughout this final was Bonnyrigg's ability to penetrate deep into the Tranent box. The first of the tie's goals came on ten minutes from Fraser Neave, getting his head on a pacey ball played in by Scott Finlayson. A fantastic cutting delivery into the six yard box with Neave being in a prime position to divert it past stopper Ross McMullen.

Tranent's response was immediate - Craig Wojtowycz grabbing an equaliser after Cameron Reynolds' free kick from the far right was poorly cleared by the Bonnyrigg defence, allowing Wojtowycz to convert on his second attempt inside the six yard box.

The pace was constant with David Gallagher next to get on the scoresheet for Bonnyrigg. Poor goalkeeping from Tranent's McMullen, let to yet another scrappy ball loose in the danger area, which Gallagher was about get first to knock it in.

Bonnyrigg were now steadily dominating the game and converted their third two minutes later. Tranent's failure to defend Bonnyrigg's low corner saw Neave able to nip in and direct his effort past McMullen to grab his second of the tie.

Bonnyrigg continued to entertain their travelling support as Dean Knight made a great individual run from the centre spot to fire a ball into Scott Finlayson who deflected a high awkward ball towards the Tranent goal. The shaky McMullen done well to backtrack and claw the ball off the line.

Tranent's pain was not over as Bonnyrigg added another goal to their tally five minutes from half time; Greig Callaghan flighted a lovely ball from the centre to Finlayson who was clear on the edge of the box, striking a low ball which produced a tremendous bottom hand save by McMullen, however the subsequent loose ball was met by the speedy Gallagher, grabbing his second and Bonnyrigg's fourth going into half time.

Half time: Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 4-1 Tranent Juniors

Tranent began the second half with more gusto than the previous forty five, showing they were still capable of holding Bonnyrigg at bay. Their nearest of chances came from Wojtowycz, after setting himself up for a volley, fired a ball straight down the throat of Bonnyrigg's stopper Andrew McQueen

Just as Tranent were gaining traction, Bonnyrigg effectively killed the final on the fifty minute mark; Dean Knight breaking away from the defence after Neave dinked a neat ball through the centre of the park. McMullen was off his line and out of position, giving the composed Knight all the time required to lob the stranded keeper and bring Bonnyrigg's total to 5.

A quiet spell now prevailed, Tranent still subdued by the superior Bonnyrigg defence. A rare second half attack came the way of Bonnyrigg's Jordan Lister, as he struck twenty yards out, fizzing narrowly wide of of the left hand post. Tranent's closest of attacks saw substitute Anton McKillop push his long range effort off target.

Thirteen minutes from the end of time, Tranent were to grab a consolation goal. Wojtowycz was well positioned to time a run through the Bonnyrigg defence to get himself one-on-one with sedentary McQueen, who could only watch as Wojtowycz rolled the ball into the back of his net. That was to be the last of this final's action as Bonnyrigg proved to be deserved winners in this South East Region.

Full time: Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic 5-2 Tranent Juniors

Bonny win


Bonnyrigg Rose Ath. Tranent Juniors
1. Andrew McQueen
2. William Lunn
3. Dean Walker
4. Darrell Young
5. Greig WCallaghan
6. Darren Leslie
7. Dean Birrell
8. Jordan Thomson
9. Dean Knight
10. Jordan LIster
11. Stephen Ferguson
15. Stuart McGuinness
16. Fraser Neave
17. Scott Finlayson
18. Blair Dickson
20. David Gallagher
1. Ross McMullen
2. Ryan Hall
3. Darren Ramsay
4. Michael Porteous
5. Blair Murray
6. Liam McFarlane
7. Cameron Reynolds
8. Craig Wojtowycz
9. David Ross
10. Robert Wood
11. Ross Parkin
12. Sean McGinn
14. Anton McKillop

Fraser Neave was instrumental in the majority of Bonnyrigg's attacks. A key man who brought out the best in his squad.

Craig Wojtowycz was a thorn in the side of Rose defence throughout this final and despite his team's under-performance, still got his name on the scoresheet twice.
Graham Pullen, team coach of Bonnyrigg, said: "Our boys definitely deserved it today. Tranent are a good side and losing to them last week was the best thing that happened to us in preparation fo this final. Today's win is dedicated to the Murphy family, it's a great victory for them."
Last modified on Tuesday, 30 July 2013 16:34
Login to post comments