Home My YFS
Thursday, 21 March 2013 12:59

Bannerman progress to semis after ten goal thriller

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Bannerman HS
Arbroath HS
McKay 21,26,49,56
Hughes 37,78
Harkins 63
 Sutherland 44,51,73



U15 SSFA School Shield - QF
Bannerman HS


By Forde McGhee
YFS West Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @fordemc14

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Bannerman High School and Arbroath High School met in a action packed ten goal thriller in the quarter final of the Scottish cup on a cold windy day in Glasgow, the match was played to a high standard of football for the full duration with Bannerman ending comfortable 7-3 winners in the end.

Arbroath were the side to come from the kick off livelier though with numerous long throws threatening the Bannerman defence. Soon after Arbroath used there asset of the long shy to there advantage when the Arbroath attacker received the ball from a long shy turned Cameron Foy with ease and won his side a free kick, The Arbroath free kick taker showed a lack of composure and blasted the ball wide.

Darroch Murdoch showed great vision picking out a sublime run from Cameron McKay but the forward couldn't latch on to the on coming ball and it rolled out for a Arbroath goal kick. The hosts continued to squeeze the game in to Arbroath's half and there plan nearly paid of when Mark Lamont's well caught volley was deflected wide by an opposing player.

Mitchell Barclay showed fantastic feet to dribble by numerous Arbroath players and find himself in a dangerous area but finally he was tackled hard and Arbroath relived the pressure. Sean Hughes was starting to cause the visitors huge problems down the right hand side, at times it looked like the ball was stuck to his feet in this first half and Arbroath had no answer to him. Bannerman won a very inviting free kick just out side their opponent's box but Cameron Foy's curling effort did not have enough dip and flew over the bar of a relived Arbroath keeper.

Banny were really taking control of the game now with most football being played In the away sides half. Arbroath looked like there were finding it hard to get into the Banny half and did not look like scoring or creating any chances, Bannerman added to their opponent's problems in the twenty first minute when Cameron McKay showed great footwork to dribble past 3 defenders in the box and coolly slot the ball home.

Five minutes later Banny added a second with little playmaker Mitchell Barclay playing a great pass to Sean Hughes who then laid it off to Cameron McKay who fired home for his and his team second goal off the match.

Just when it looked like it could get no worse for the away side Banny added a third on the stroke of half time and what a goal it was, the ball was played in from the right hand side to the edge of the box for Sean Hughes to catch it first time with a sublime volley rocketing into the Arbroath net leaving the goalie with no chance, just after the half time whistle went and Banny would certainly be the happier side of the two.

Half Time: Bannerman HS 3-0 Arbroath HS

The second half begun just as the first ended with Bannerman piling on immense pressure with Cameron McKay coming close to his hat trick and his team mate Mark Lamont unlucky not to open his account for the game.

Sean Baxter continued to cause the Arbroath defence problem on the right flank, the tricky winger had it all on the day pace, skill and that all important final ball. The Banny number 8 was beating players for fun and looked like adding to his tally a few times especially when he dodged a number of tackles and fired a shot at goal from the edge of the box but the Arbroath keeper held well.

Arbroath stunned the home supporters when they pulled goal back when again Finn Sutherland turned the Bannerman defence with ease and fired a brilliant shot past Ross Elliot into the top right hand corner.

The game was looking interesting and looked like the away side could edge back into it until Cameron McKay was brung down just as he was about to tap the ball in for his hat trick, this resulted in a Banny penalty and the Arbroath defender being dismissed, Cameron McKay finally got his hat trick but when he blasted the ball home from the penalty spot.

A few moments after Arbroath were awarded a penalty of their own when the ball was deemed to be handled by a Bannerman player in side the box, Sutherland stepped up to drill the ball low and hard for his second of the match.

Again the Arbroath celebrations were cut short when Kieran Harkins added a fifth goal and seconds later Bannerman talisman Cameron McKay bagged his fourth goal with a calm and collected finish.

Bannerman were to end the match with ten men when the drama continued in this Scottish cup quarter final, Cameron Foy has dismissed for a tackle inside his own area and the away side awarded yet another penalty,  Sutherland stepped up and blasted past Ross Elliot in the Bannerman goal.

Just when you thought the game could have nothing more to give us just before the end another Arbroath player was dismissed for what seemed to be dissent towards the official leaving the travelling side with 9 players and just to rub salt in there wound before the final whistle Sean Hughes added a seventh goal with another spectacular strike

Full Time: Bannerman HS 7-3 Arbroath HS


Bannerman High School Arbroath High School
1. Ross Elliot
2. Darroch Murdoch
3. Jonathan Martin
4. Lewis Warnock
5. Cameron Foy
6. Kieran Harkins
7. Mitchell Barclay
8. Sean Hughes
9. John Smith
10. Mark Lamont
11.  Ross Mitchell
12. Frazer Kennedy
14. Cameron McKay
15. Garry Watson
16. Mikey Brown
17. Andrew Roberts
Gareth Mowatt
Jonathon Bastow
Harris Carnegie
Liam Sime
Bailey Menmuir
Ross Paterson
Kerr Waddell
Callum Beattie
Nathan Sinclair
Scott Milne
Finn Sutherland
Kieran Murphy
Sam Clark
Tommy Yule
Daniel Land
Cameron McKay is the man of the match. On the day it was hard to pick but his goals contributed a lot to his team's victory.
Finn Sutherland is Arbroath's man of the match. He held the ball up well thought and bagged himself a hat-trick.
Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 18:44
Forde McGhee

Forde McGhee | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments