Home My YFS
Monday, 04 February 2013 13:37

Park sweep aside Calderbraes to make quarters Featured

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)



Cavalry Park
Calderbraes FC


U15 SYFA Challenge Cup - QF
Meggetland 3G


By Clement Murphy
YFS South East Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @clem_murphy

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team.

View Photo Gallery | Discuss the Match | Create a Souvenir Newsprint

Cavalry Park vs Calderbraes U15sCavalry Park saw off Calderbraes on Sunday, as the home side coasted to a 3-0 win. Goals from Sam Nicol, Brandon Archibald and Harry Davies were enough to see Cavalry Park through to the quarter-finals, where they will play host to Harmony Row. It was an open game, with both sides exhibiting some quick and incisive passing, and playing free-flowing football. There were some strong tackles on show as well, and the referee spoke to several players to stop the game bubbling over.

The game produced plenty of chances, with both goalkeepers busy, and the visitors were unlucky not to have scored. The first half-chance came to Cavalry Park’s Jack Kidney from a corner, with the ball played in from Cai Smith nearly falling to the striker six yards out. Calderbraes’ defence attacked the ball well, and managed to get the ball clear.

Calderbraes had a chance of their own moments later, when Dean Robertson’s mazy run from the left-hand side left several Cavalry Park defenders for dead, and won his side a corner.

Cavalry Park’s Harry Davies found lots of space on the right-hand side of midfield, and caused problems for the Calderbraes defence the whole game. He created quite a few chances for his team-mates and was unlucky not to have his hand in a goal when his pass across the box fell to Sam Laverty, whose shot was blocked well by Calderbraes captain Shay Blair.

The first half settled after a frantic start, with Cavalry Park enjoying lots of possession, and Calderbraes counter-attacking well. Both midfields were composed, and the passing was smooth from both teams. Despite not having the majority of possession, Calderbraes threatened on a few occasions in the first half, with Iain McGraw’s shot going just over the bar, and the Cavalry Park defence blocking several shots on the edge of their box.

Rowen Shaw had a good game leading the line for Cavalry Park, combining well with Sam Nicol and Jack Kidney. The three forward players increased the pressure on Calderbraes towards the end of the first half, with Jack Kidney’s shot straight down the throat of Calderbraes’ ‘keeper Ryan Loney, and a succession of corners. Calderbraes’ captain Shay Blair blocked several shots, and denying Sam Laverty and Rowen Shaw goalscoring opportunites.

Cavalry Park were the better side heading into half-time, keeping the ball and creating chances in the final third. Calderbraes’ defence was holding strong, with Shay Blair and goalkeeper Ryan Loney looking tough to beat.

Half Time: Cavalry Park 0-0 Calderbraes 

Cavalry Park vs Calderbraes U15sCavalry Park continued their dominance into the first few minutes of the second half, and were rewarded with a goal when a hopeful shot was parried by the Calderbraes ‘keeper, with Sam Nicol on hand to slot home the rebound.

The home side deserved their lead, and the goal seemed to take some of the fight out of the visitors. Kobi May made a good run, before pulling the ball back to the edge of the box, but it was cut out well by Shay Blair.

Jack Kidney’s cheeky backheel released Rowen Shaw moments later, whose shot flew just over the crossbar. Cavalry Park’s second goal came from a short corner. When the ball was played across the box, Brandon Archibald was on hand to guide it past the Calderbraes ‘keeper.

Calderbraes were only allowed shots from distance by the home side, whose dominance was growing in the game. Harry Davies was finding lots of space on the Cavalry Park right, combining well with Rowen Shaw to make space for the striker to shoot, but his effort was just wide of the right-hand post.

Davies’ hard work was rewarded just after with a goal – after drifting from the right past two Calderbraes defenders, he calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner. Cavalry Park had a big lead, and were looking sure to progress to the next round.

The third goal seemed to spark a little life into the visitors, who caught their opponents napping a few times towards the end of the game – chances coming to Dean Robertson and Reiss Cain; the latter rounding the goalkeeper before having his shot cleared off the goal line. 

Full Time: Cavalry Park 3-0 Calderbraes

Cavalry Park enjoyed a large proportion of the possession, and their crisp passing was too much for Calderbraes at times. The visitors gave it their all, but their brief spell of dominance came too late, after Cavalry Park were already three goals ahead. Harry Davies was the most influential player on the pitch for the home side, and his skill and determination was rewarded with a goal.


Cavalry Park Calderbraes FC

1. Kerr Robertson
2. Calum Shields
3. Scott Christie
5. Cai Smith
6. Kobi May
7. Sam Nicol
8. Jonathan Louden
9. Ross Lamb
10. Jack Kidney
11. Euan Greg
12. Michael Cockburn
14. Sam Laverty
15. Brandon Archibald
16. Alexander Simpson
17. Rowen Shaw
18. Harry Davies

1. Ryan Loney
2. Reece Wilson
3. Jamie Rankin
5. Craig Lockhart
6. Dean Robertson
8. Derek Simpson
9. Craig Berkley
10. Robbie Stewart
11. Shay Blair
12. Liam Bowie
14. Iain McGraw
16. Ewan Brown
17. Reiss Cain

Harry Davies caused the Calderbraes defence trouble all game, and got himself a goal.
Shay Blair captained the losing side. Without his tough defending, it could have been a lot more.
Last modified on Wednesday, 02 October 2013 11:05
Login to post comments