Home My YFS
Sunday, 27 January 2013 20:10

EK beat the elements and see off Calderglen

Written by  Ryan Gemmell
Rate this item
(0 votes)


East Kilbride Thistle YC
Calderglen Thistle
Under 17 Lanarkshire FDA
ekthistle1EK Thistle YC Under 17's hosted Calderglen in a match that was fortunate to go ahead, such was the weather in recent days in East Kilbride. Thankfully an overnight downpour cleared the pitch of the snow and the game was able to be played.

The downpour had not stopped however and was making for extremely difficult conditions as the game started. With very strong winds it was surprising Calderglen did not use their coin toss win to change ends, a decision which would have an influence on the game. Thistle took the lead after ten minutes, a Lewis Rundell cross drifting over the keeper and prodded over the line by Sean Maclean. A few minutes later it was two, Blair Mcintosh’s shot deflecting off a Calderglen defender into the net.

The home side were using the strong wind to their advantage well, with corners and set-pieces posing threat from almost any distance. Thistle were awarded a penalty just before the twenty-minute mark, Dylan Barden nudged in the back inside the area. The striker stepped up himself and sent the keeper the wrong way, giving Thistle a comfortable lead.

Calderglen managed to pull one back after a diagonal ball into the box from a free-kick was contested between Thistle keeper Jamie Woodward and a Calderglen forward, the goalkeeper losing out and Greg Wallace knocking the ball into an empty net. The Thistle keeper was unimpressed with the decision not to give a foul, however the referee was satisfied with the challenge.

Half Time: EK Thistle 3-1 Calderglen Thistle

ekthistle2With the away side now having the benefit of the gusting winds it was Thistle who were struggling to deal with usually straightforward long balls. While the home side were failing to dominate play with the same style and energy of the first half, they were largely comfortable in their two-goal lead.

There were moments of panic in the Thistle box though, with Jamie Woodward relieved to find the ball bounce into his hands after a couple of scrambles. Greg Wallace then nearly claimed his second goal, but was unfortunate to find his cross-goal shot striking the inside of the post and bouncing out across the line before being cleared.

Thistle then settled the match with ten minutes remaining, Sean Maclean making a positive run from inside his own half before feeding John McGuinness who slid in Dylan Barden to finish coolly for his second of the game.

Calderglen finished the match with ten men, Adam Fraser being sent off for a second yellow card. The last few minutes of the match were played out with Thistle coming close to claiming a fifth, Dylan Barden desperately seeking his fourth hat-trick of the season. However the match ended 4-1, a positive result for the home side who move level on points with the team above them in the LFDA league, while Calderglen remain pointless for the season.

Full Time: EK Thistle 4-1 Calderglen Thistle

EK Thistle Team: Woodward, Haddow, Fitzpatrick, Maclaren, Behan, Davidson, McIntosh (1), Campbell, Rundell, Maclean (1), Barden (2) Subs: Jardine, McGuinness, Denholm

Last modified on Friday, 23 August 2013 17:19
Login to post comments