Home My YFS
Sunday, 20 January 2013 21:32

Milton show character to beat league leaders

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


EK Rolls Royce Red
Milton Rovers YFC
U13 Lanarkshire FDA - League C
Jock Stein Centre
Milton Rovers got back to league business this weekend after switching venues to the Jock Stein Centre in Hamilton. The team having the match postponed last weekend were looking forward to the game against EK Rolls Royce Red who were sitting top of the league having played more games that the Rovers.

The game started with both teams creating a couple of chances, and after about 20 minutes Josh Bell ran onto a great through ball from Euan Scott, and with the defender and goalkeeper got into a tangle leaving Josh to put the ball into an empty net for it to be disallowed by the referee.
Rovers kept their nerve and greated a few other chances with the Man of the match the Goalie Andy Cummings saving everthing that they could through at him and kept the Rovers in the tie although lost a goal to a great turn an finish by the EK striker. 

Half Time: EK Rolls Royce Red 1-2 Milton Rovers YFC

The second half started and the Rovers seemed to grow in confidence from what had occurred,and began to take the game by the scruff of the neck and created a couple of good chances with again the EK goalie keeping them at bay. At the other end the four at the back lead by the captain Cameron Fyfe with Jamie McAdam, Calum Clarke and the impressive Craig Wilson playing his best game in a Miton strip along with Andy Cummings kept the team in it with some great defending and safe goalkeeping.

The team then won a succession of corners as they started to turn the screw with 15 minutes to go and eventually the equaliser came from a corner from the fit again and impressive James Maxwell's set pieces and Josh Bell latched onto a knockdown and smashed it into the net.

The away side then looked hungry for the winner with Josh Bell bringing out another save rom the EK Goalie to turn his effort round the post, Owen Foster then had a solo run through the middle and just shot wide. Rovers then won a free kick about 30 yards from goal on the right with quieter than usual Euan Scott delivered a great free kick high into the box and as it was dropping Michael Stevenson hit an unstoppable volley high into the net with the other players surrounding him in jubilation with four minutes to go. Rovers had another chance to finish the game off when Josh Bell again managed to wriggle free and screw his shot wide.

As the game was coming to the end EK through a long ball forward with the on rushing Andy Cummings just managed to put the striker off about 25 yards from goal, then captain Fyfe managed to block another shot allowing time for Andy to regain his positon. EK then shot for goal which looked like the equaliser to then have Man of the Match Andy cummings produce a fantastic safe and kept hold off the ball to take the pressure off.

The Rovers then saw the game out to come away with a deserved 2-1 result based on there second half performance of determination coming from 1-0 down. There were a number of good performances with Craig Wilson narrowly being pipped by Andy Cummings for man of the match. The result lifts the Rovers up to 3 points behind the league leaders EK Rolls Royce Red with 3 games in hand.
Full Time: EK Rolls Royce Red 1-2 Milton Rovers YFC
Last modified on Friday, 23 August 2013 17:38
Login to post comments