Home My YFS
Monday, 15 October 2012 15:32

Hoops brush aside Busby to maintain fine start

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


The Celtic BC
Busby Amateurs
Agegroup Competition
Tannochside PS, Uddingston
Celtic's winning run in the league continued with a thumping 7-2 victory over fellow title contenders Busby with the visiting goalkeeping being all that stood between the Bhoys and an even more emphatic scoreline. Anthony O'Brien and Stephen McKnight returned from injury while there was a début for Alexander 'Aldo' Lynn who seized upon his opportunity to impress with a fine performance. There was also a brace from Shaun McCourt on another great day for the forward.

The home team's intentions were clear right from the off as the ball was sprayed out wide on the right from the kick off to McCourt whose ball across goal was met by Dylan McKinnon whose close-range shot was stopped by the keeper. McCourt's shot was then saved 3 minutes later and fell to McKnight who's first time shot from distance went just over the bar. Lynn then had a powerful volley from outside the box saved before the deadline was broken by Anthony O'Brien, who finished off McKinnon's ball across goal from close range on 7 minutes.

Lynn was starting to make his mark on the game and had a chance to double the lead when McKinnon was brought down following Alberto Vezza's through ball to win a free kick which was hit just wide by the debutant. Celtic were running riot at this stage and Vezza's near post effort after 20 minutes from O'Brien's cutback was well saved by the keeper who had no chance for Celtic's second a minute later. McCourt hitting a stunning half-volley from all of 30 yards which dipped over the keeper and into the net. He then got his second on 24 minutes, getting on the end of O'Brien's volley into the box to nod the ball just inside the post with his head.

Three minutes later it was 4-0 when McKinnon brought down Lynn's diagonal ball and drove at goal before poking the ball under the goalkeeper. Vezza then broke clear in the box on the half hour mark following a mazy run, before being brought down. Penalty appeals were waved away by the referee and a minute later Busby had scored – the Celtic defence failed to deal with a free kick from the right before it was headed over Daniel Farrell in the Celtic goal by the number 11. With that Celtic went into half-time 4-1 up and cruising after a clinical opening 35 minutes.

Half Time: The Celtic BC 4-1 Busby Amateurs

The home team then wasted no time in extending their lead and it was Alexander Lynn who marked his first game with a deserved goal only 3 minutes after the restart– curling a low free kick round the wall and into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. Busby then got a second 5 minutes later as their number 10 was afforded a lot of space in the middle of the park before going on a strong run towards goal which culminated in a neat left-footed finish under Farrell who was rarely called into action all day.

Enrico Janetta then came off the bench and was unlucky not to get on the score-sheet as his shot was deflected just wide following a strong run from the middle of the park. Josh Young then made it 6-2 on 56 minutes with his first league goal of the season – heading in Lynn's corner kick from close range and Vezza then made sure of the result 2 minutes later: the midfielder brought down Laurence Jeffrey's cross in the box before rounding the defender and slamming the ball home despite some valiant attempts to hack his legs away from him.

Kieran Philbin then impressed following his introduction off the bench and was very unlucky to see his towering header crash off the crossbar from another Lynn corner kick on 66 minutes. Celtic then seen out the game comfortably and are now 3 points clear of Busby in 2nd place with a game in hand over them and table-topping Milngavie.

Full Time: The Celtic BC 7-2 Busby Amateurs

The Celtic BC: Daniel Farrell ©, David Triano, Josh Young, Jordan Ridgeway, Reece McPhilemy, Stephen McKnight, Alberto Vezza (58'), Alexander Lynn (38'), Anthony O'Brien (7'), Dylan McKinnon (27'), Shaun McCourt (21', 24').

So Celtic's 100% league record was maintained in what was a far more comfortable afternoon than last week's match against Fulham. Aldo Lynn will no
doubt prove to be an invaluable addition to the team following a wonderful match while McCourt and O'Brien continued their great form with wonderful displays going forward.

Jordan Ridgeway was again solid in in defence – sweeping up Busby's few attacks and rarely allowing their forwards a sniff at goal. Philbin and Janetta also looked dangerous when they came on and both can consider themselves unlucky not to have rounded off the result with goals for themselves. In all it was another excellent team display in which the result was never really in doubt and Celtic can now look forward to a tough match against their counterparts from across the city next week when they play Rangers SABC.
Last modified on Monday, 07 April 2014 22:44
Login to post comments