Home My YFS
Monday, 21 May 2012 18:28

Gow seek title after LFDA League Cup success Featured

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

 Gow Valley Under  13's
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers Under  13's
Competition: LFDA League Cup final
Venue: John Cumming Stadium
Date: 20/05/2012

Author: Andrew Watson



On a bright and sunny morning in Carluke, Gow Valley took on Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers at John Cumming Stadium in the U13’s LFDA League Cup final.

It was a clash of first against second in the league, and with the destination of the title still to be decided and Gow leading Wanderers by just a point with the sides still to meet in the last league match of the season, there was more than just silverware on the line in this cup final.

Both sides had reached the final with minimum fuss. Wishaw hit 16 goals and Gow 17 during their run to the showpiece match, and this combined with Gow edging the previous league meeting between the teams 2-1 meant this was anyone’s game.

The late venue change to Carluke after Tileworks Park was ruled unplayable also meant a change of playing surface to the John Cumming Stadium 4G astro turf. Gow adapted quicker than Wanderers to the huge artificial surface, and made all of the early running as Wishaw struggled to settle into the final, although for the first ten minutes they prevented Gow from creating any real chances.

The first real opening of the match fell to Gow winger Kieran Laing, who was fed by Scott Thomson but fired narrowly wide of Wanderers goalkeeper Callum Kinvig’s right hand post.

It seemed only a matter of time before Gow broke down the Wishaw defence, and it was Laing who broke the deadlock with 12 minutes gone. With a chance almost identical to the one which had fell just wide minutes before, Laing this time found the bottom corner from Fraser Allan’s pass.

The goalscorer Laing was proving a real handful for the Wishaw defence, who struggled to deal with his pace in the wide areas throughout the opening half of the final. He created Gow’s next chance, when he kept Jamie McDonald’s pass from going for a goal kick, and hooking the ball high into the area, but Scott Blacklaw’s overhead kick fell wide.

With half an hour on the clock, and Wishaw still failing to test Gow keeper Docherty, it was at the other end where the next goal seemed more likely to come. Gow forced a series of corners, and with Wishaw struggling to escape their own penalty area, only good defending kept the score at 1-0. Firstly, Wanderers cleared a goalmouth scramble, but the ball fell to McDonald 20 yards from goal, and with his volley heading for the back of the net, Dylan Monks on the goal line did very well to head clear. Then just seconds later, McDonald’s cross from the left hand side evaded everyone in the box, but Blacklaw narrowly failed to make the touch at the back post which surely would have led to Gow’s second.

In the last minute of the first half, Wishaw made Gow pay for their missed opportunities, when with their first shot of the game, they equalised. Kyle Ferguson handled the ball 25 yards from goal, and Dom Lunny stepped up to hammer the ball into the net off the underside of the crossbar, giving Docherty no chance, and ensuring the sides went into the break level.

Half Time: Gow Valley 13's 1-1 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers 13's

Although the equaliser seemed to galvanise Wishaw, shortly after the restart Gow came close to regaining the lead. McDonald’s free kick from 20 yards had Kinvig beaten, but struck the crossbar, and Wanderers survived.

However, the second goal was only a minute away. From a throw in on the right, Laing again tormented the Wishaw defence, hitting the goal line before sending an excellent cross into the six yard box. With Kinvig caught in no man’s land, Kian Adam escaped the Wishaw defence to head home into the empty net at the back post, and Gow were back in front.

This goal knocked the wind from Wishaw so soon after the start of the second half, and Gow should have extended the lead when Scott Thomson shot wide from Laing’s pass with only Kinvig to beat.

With 15 minutes to play, and Wanderers chasing the game, gaps began to appear in their defence, and Gow threatened a third goal, Kinvig twice saving from Allan and Thomson. 

As the game entered the last ten minutes, Wanderers were launching long balls into the area to no avail, and at the other end, Gow extinguished any hopes of a comeback with eight minutes to go. Fraser Allan’s corner from the left was attacked by players from both sides, but Jamie McDonald got the telling touch to the ball, diverting it into the bottom corner for 3-1, and to seal the LFDA League Cup for Gow. With 4 minutes of injury time signalled, Gow spent it camped at the Wanderers corner flag, and ran the time down until the final whistle as they ran out deserved winners.  

Full Time: Gow Valley Under 13's 3-1 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers Under 13's


Gow Valley Under 13's

Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers Under 13's
1.Lewis Docherty
2.Adam Blair
3.Dylan Hollands
5.Greg Watson
6.Jamie McDonald
8.Connor McGrane
9.Fraser Allan
10.Kian Adam
11.Scott Thomson
12.Adam Breslin
14.Euan Robertson
15.Cameron Taylor
16.Kyle Ferguson
17.Scott Blacklaw
18.Kieran Laing
19.Jack McDonald
1.Callum Kinvig
2.Aaron Bell
3.Cameron Ballantyne
4.Dom Lunny
5.Christopher Smith
6.Keirran Jessimer
7.Connor Bohan
9.Ryan Watt
10.Dylan Monks
11.Cameron Pow
12.Gary Torrance
14.Christopher Smith
15.Lewis Houston
16.Ross Park
17.Lee Hadden

Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!

Givova UK Man of the Match: Dylan Hollands

Givova UK Man of the Match: Dom Lunny
Last modified on Friday, 16 August 2013 18:20
Andrew Watson

Andrew Watson | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments