Home My YFS
Saturday, 03 September 2011 14:48

Dalbeath secure victory against 10 man Aberdour

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Dalbeath Colts Under 16s
Aberdour Under 16s
Competition: AFYFC Division 1 U16
Venue: Golf Course Park 
Date:  03/09/11
Author: Graham Swann


The drizzle and rain in Cowdenbeath did nothing to prevent Dalbeath Colts from picking up a deserved three points in this league encounter against Aberdour.

It didn’t take long for the game’s first goal to arrive and it was the home side who took the lead. On 7 minutes right back Aaron Keenen played a long ball over the top and John Paul McPhail managed to win a 50/50 challenge with Aberdour keeper Nathan Walker and slotted the ball into the net.

This gave Dalbeath a lift and Aberdour were battling in the midfield but couldn’t get hold of the ball for long enough periods. Kenneth Stewert was doing well down Dalbeath's right wing managing to make some good runs in an attempt to help his side get a second goal.

On 15 minutes Aberdour put pressure on Dalbeath’s goal for the first time in the match with three consecutive corners. However the closest they came was from the first of these corners when Sean McCallum rose to head on target but Walker held comfortably.

Aberdour were winning a few set pieces but unfortunately for them nothing came from these opportunities. On 35 minutes Aberdour’s McCallum picked up the first yellow card of the game for a challenge and four minutes later it got a lot worse. He committed another foul and referee Mark Wallace deemed the challenge worthy of a second yellow card and Aberdour were a man down.

Dalbeath immediately took advantage of their man advantage just before halftime. The free kick was delivered from the right and Aberdour’s goalkeeper Sam MacDonald parried a header but was unable to prevent Brandon Dick putting away the rebound to give Dalbeath a 2-0 lead at half time. 

Half Time: Dalbeath Colts Under 16s 2-0 Aberdour Under 16s 

Aberdour would have been looking to get back into this match quickly but two minutes into the second half the game was all but over. Dalbeath’s Jordan Paterson took a free kick from just outside the box which was parried by MacDonald and just like his first goal Dick was in the right place at the right time to fire home and make it 3-0.

Dalbeath were looking confident and some good passing saw McPhail cleverly flick the ball through to wide man Kenneth Stewert whose shot went just wide of the post.

Aberdour almost grabbed a goal back from a free kick crossed from the left but Callum Ramsay saw his header float wide of the left post.   

As the game entered the last 15 minutes chances were becoming less frequent and Aberdour as hard as they tried couldn’t create anything more clear cut and but for a few Dalbeath corners which came to nothing the home side saw the game out to claim all three points.

Ultimately the red card for Aberdour’s McCallum was a key moment in the game and arguably it could have been more of a contest had the referee not produced the second yellow. In the end this was a deserved home win for Dalbeath who created the better chances and Aberdour will be disappointed at not creating a lot of clear cut chances. 

Full Time: Dalbeath Colts Under 16s 3-0 Aberdour Under 16s

Dalbeath Colts Under 16s
Aberdour Under 16s
20. Nathan Walker
2. Jordan Brown
4. John Paul McPhail
5. Aaron Keenen
6. Brandon Dick
8. Michael Ness
9. Scott Morrison
11. Connor Adamson
12. Jordon Paterson
15. Christopher Graham
16. Kenneth Stewert
10. Rory Cusick
19. Arron Fotheringham
1. Sam MacDonald
2. Rhys Ovenstone
3. Liam McPhail
5. Callum Whitaker
6. Sean McCallum
10. Matthew Christie
11. Kieron Perkins
14. Conor Napier
18. Connor Kirton
19. Callum Ramsay
20. Jamie Dinnel
12. Joseph Martin
13. Calum Allan
16. Jamie McNeish
YFS Man of the Match: Brandon Dick
YFS Man of the Match: Callum Ramsay
Referee: Mark Wallace
Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 19:12
Graham Swann

Graham Swann | YFS East Region Journalist

Login to post comments