Home My YFS

Clinical Motherwell book Cup Final spot

Gartcairn FA 0

Motherwell FCCT 3

McKnight 4, O'Neil 35, Brown 74
  • Saturday, 06 October 2018
  • Airdrie Leisure Centre, Gartcairn Park
  • Under 15´s
  • CSFA A League Cup Semi-Final

Motherwell FCCT earned a place in the CSFA A League Cup final with a well-deserved 3-0 victory over Gartcairn FA at Gartcairn Park, Airdrie. First half goals from Kirk McKnight and Reece O'Neil put the visitors in control before Nathan Brown scored a third late on to ensure the win.

Motherwell opened the scoring with four minutes on the clock. A free-kick just inside the Gartcairn half was floated in by Reece O'Neil, which was met by Kirk McKnight who from eight yards out flicked a header into the corner, past Jay Kennedy in the Gartcairn goal to give Motherwell an early lead.

Just a few minutes later, Gartcairn almost levelled proceedings. A corner was whipped in by Patrick Meechan into a crowded penalty area and sent goalward with a powerful header, but the effort was brilliantly blocked on the line and sent away from goal. 

The visitors were in on goal with a chance for 2-0. Good work by Hugo Brown on the right-wing who clipped a ball over the defence for Nathan Brown who collected the ball and flicked it over his marker and found himself one-on-one with Kennedy in the Gartcairn goal. Brown unleashed a shot headed for the near post, but Kennedy produced a great save to keep the score at 1-0.

Gartcairn then fashioned a half-chance. A mix-up in the Motherwell defence caused by good pressing from Aidan Wilson and Jonathon McFegan saw Wilson pick up on a loose pass directed for the Motherwell keeper but the striker was forced wide and Wilson collected the ball outside the box on the by-line when he cut the ball back for McFegan in the area who was closed down and scuffed his effort over the bar, a let off for Motherwell.

Motherwell then doubled their advantage on 35 minutes. A short corner taken by Lewis Simpson to the edge of the box for Hugo Brown who shaped to shoot but played a smart pass to his right for Reece O'Neil, who hit a first-time effort from outside the box towards goal which travelled through a crowd of bodies and squirmed under Gartcairn keeper Jay Kennedy.

Motherwell had the better of the chances in the first half and deserved their lead going into the break.

  • Half Time:
  • Gartcairn FA
  • 0-2
  • Motherwell FCCT

Gartcairn started the second half much the brighter of the two teams as they tried to find a way back into this semi-final but still struggled to create clear cut chances.

A Gartcairn corner delivered again by Patrick Meechan was missed in the box by everyone and the ball fell at the back post to Matthew McLaughlin who sliced a shot wide of goal.

The home side had their best chance of the game when Patrick Meechan carried the ball from half way to the edge of the box where he slipped the ball into Kai McBride in the area, the striker took a touch and had a shot at goal, but his effort was well saved by Williamson.

Motherwell were struggling to get out and back into their first half rhythm as Gartcairn surged to get back into the tie. Kirk McKnight had a go at goal from about 30 yards out which flew over and that was the highlight of a tough period at the start the second half for Motherwell.

Gartcairn continued to press. A lovely passing move started from the goalkeeper was worked between Matthew McLaughlin and Eamonn Campbell in the back line. They worked their way up the right hand side with Lewis Mclean who then from just inside the Motherwell half clipped a fantastic ball into the area, but Adam Costello could only make contact with the ball on the stretch and the ball looped over the bar.

With time running out, Gartcairn's intensity seemed to diminish and they were gradually running out of ideas as Motherwell defended stoutly to keep their clean sheet.

In the last knockings of the game, Motherwell were able to get a foothold in the game and created one final chance, producing the goal which put the game to bed. A great interception by Lewis McShane gave him possession of the ball and he flighted a ball over the Gartcairn defence for Nathan Brown who skilfully lofted the ball over his marker which put him in on goal and the striker finished well past Kennedy, confirming victory for the away side.

Despite a much better second half for Gartcairn, they struggled to create enough good opportunities to get them back into the game. Motherwell defended well enough to limit goal-scoring opportunities for Gartcairn and overall the away side were clinical in front of goal.

  • Full Time:
  • Gartcairn FA
  • 0-3
  • Motherwell FCCT


Gartcairn FA
Motherwell FCCT
1. Jay Kennedy
2. Adam Costello
3. Eamonn Campbell
4. Lewis Mclean
5. Matthew McLaughlin
6. Patrick Meechan
7. Kole Ramsey
8. Aaron Curtis
9. Aidan Wilson
10. Kai McBride
11. Jonathon McFegan
12. Adam Keegan
14. Jamie Kinnear
15. Jamie Yuill
17. Jordan Horn
1. Mack Williamson
2. Hugo Brown
3. Kyle Irvine
4. Lewis McShane
5. Robert Conner
6. Luke Mitchell
7. Kirk McKnight
9. Lewis McDougal
11. Lewis Simpson
14. Nathan Brown
15. Mikey McCrae
16. Patrick McDermott
18. Reece O'Neil
20. Declan McKenzie
Star Player
Gartcairn FA
Motherwell FCCT
Patrick Meechan - Very composed on the ball, never panicked. Created chances for his side with some very tidy passes.
Kirk McKnight - Started the scoring for his side and put in a solid performance. Worked tirelessly, was dominant in the air, he was at the heart of everything good for the visitors.
Magic Moment
Gartcairn FA
Motherwell FCCT
A wonderful piece of passing play which started from the back, was worked all the way into the attacking third, giving the opportunity to put a cross in which was met by Adam Costello, unlucky not to score.
Nathan Brown's goal. An outstanding piece of individual skill combined with great composure allowed the striker to seal Motherwell's win and place in the final.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments