Home My YFS

Hibs reach SYFA cup final after dramatic penalty win over Celtic

Hibernian 0

Celtic 0

  • Hibs win 4-2 on penalties
  • Thursday, 12 April 2018
  • Easter Road
  • Under 21´s
  • SYFA Cup

Hibs won a hard-fought battle with Celtic on penalties, securing their spot at Hampden in the SYFA cup final.

The hosts were the first to threaten when Fraser Murray managed to bring out a powerful strike from the edge of the box which headed towards the bottom left corner, but the right hand from Ross Doohan was enough to deny an early lead in the second minute. Murray was unlucky once again not to put the team from the capital in front in the 3rd minute after Celtic captain Robbie Deas heroically threw himself in front of the wingers shot from close range.

Celtic got their first chance in the fourth minute when Michael Johnston showed his trickery down the right wing and sent a bullet of a cross in, which was unlucky not to be met by a teammate. Johnston was at it again in the 8th minute, this time from a free kick which went narrowly over the bar.

The end-to-end action continued at Easter road when Ryan Shanley made room for himself in the box but saw his finish sail over the bar in the 18th minute. The next chance for the hosts came in the 23rd minute when Adam Watson smartly found F. Murray at the edge of the box, who couldn't be anymore unlucky when his strike was deflected over Doohan and clipping the underside of the bar.

Celtic’s youngest ever scorer, Jack Aitchison was the next to threaten for Celtic in the 31st minute when he touched the ball down at the back post but saw his shot go wide of the target. The bar was struck again in the 34th minute, this time the Hibs bar, when Johnston found Ewan Henderson who had his powerful effort tipped onto the woodwork by keeper Maciej Dabrowski. Defender Stephen Welsh was then unfortunate to find his curling strike go just over from the resulting corner.

F. Murray was courageously denied once again by a Celtic defensive block when Stephen Welsh flung himself in front of the close ranged effort in the 36th minute. Hibs continued the pressure when a minute later Adam Watson had an attempt from range which was comfortably saved by Doohan. A long-range attempt from Hibees defender Callum Donaldson which cruised over the bar in the 40th minute, ended up being the climax of an action packed first half.

  • Half Time:
  • Hibernian
  • 0-0
  • Celtic

With the exhilarating first half ending, the second half was seen to be a much more conservative approach from each of the sides. Celtic’s Calvin Miller who has impressed manager Brendan Rodgers this season had the first chance of the second-half when he saw his freekick glance over the bar in the 49th minute of the match.

Hibs got their first chance of the half when Shanley saw his forceful effort from the edge of the box fly over in the 51st minute. Hibs then got their best chance of the game in the 55th minute when F. Murray sweetly delivered a cross to captain Ryan Porteous from a free kick which saw the tall captain’s header just go wide of the post.

After a series of stubborn defending and a couple of naughty challenges which resulted in bookings, the next chance didn’t come until the 69th minute, and was arguably the chance of the game when Aitchison showed a lovely bit of composure to thread the ball to Reagan Hendry who found himself one on one against Dabrowski, but fortunately for the home side Hendry couldn’t find the target.

The next chance didn’t come until the 88th minute when on form target man Oli Shaw, who had been uncharacteristically quiet on the evening managed to turn his man and fire a fierce shot across the goal, but just drifted wide. The final chance of the game fell to that man again Shaw in the dying moments of the match when he managed to get his head on a great delivery which was then superbly denied by an agile Doohan save in the 91st minute. The tense semi-final headed towards extra time.

  • Full Time:
  • Hibernian
  • 0-0
  • Celtic
A half of few chances was seen in the opening 15 of extra time with the only chances coming from the away side. Aitchison was smartly denied by Dabrowski in the 95th minute after latching onto a good threaded ball. Kerr McInroy had his first chance of the game when his powerful effort was deflected out for a corner which resulted to nothing in the 98th minute.

Shaw who had come to life at the end of regulation time threatened once again when Doohan managed to palm away his dangerous shot in the 111th minute. Celtic’s job wasn’t made any easier when substitute Broque Watson was forced to leave the pitch through injury in the 116th minute, meaning Celtic would be finishing the 120 minutes with ten men. However, even with the lesser men, McInroy had another shot just go wide in extra time for the away side, in the 119th minute.

The final chance of the 120 minutes fell to Hibs substitute Gregor Woods in the 119th minute when he saw his bullet of a half-volley just rise over the bar, being the last hope for a side to proceed to the final from open play as penalties was next on the agenda.

A penalty shootout seemed the only fair way to settle what was such a competitive match between the young Hibees and the young Bhoys. In the end, after heroics from Hibs keeper Dabrowski, who denied two previous penalties, it was Shaw who once again decided the fate of a match and sent Hibs to Hampden through his converted penalty.

Hibs: 1. Stirling- Scored
2. F. Murray- Scored
3. Waugh- Missed
4. I. Murray- Scored
5. Shaw- Scored

Celtic: 1. Aitchison- Missed
2. Hill- Scored
3. McInroy- Missed
4. Hendry- Scored

Final Result: Hibs win 4-2 on penalties


1. Maciej Dabrowski
2. Ben Stirling
3. Callum Donaldson
4. Ryan Porteous
5. Kevin Waugh
6. Josh Campbell
7. Adam Watson
8. Innes Murray
9. Oli Shaw
10. Ryan Shanley
11. Fraser Murray
12. Kane O'Connor
14. Gregor Woods 15. Ruari Paton
31. Patrick Martin
1. Ross Doohan
2. Wallace Duffy
3. Calvin Miller
4. Robbie Deas
5. Stephen Welsh
6. Kerr McInroy
7. Michael Johnston
8. Mark Hill
9. Jack Aitchison
10. Regan Hendry
11. Ewan Hendersonn
12. Leo Mazis
13. Reece Willison
14. Lewis Bell
15. Broque Watson
16. Daniel Church
17. Max Potter
19. Paul Joseph Crossan
Star Player
Ben Stirling- A superb display from the defensive minded youngster. A true warrior in defense, hardly letting any Celtic forward past him. And took his penalty very nicely.
Calvin Miller- It was a game for defenders at Easter Road and Miller certainly enjoyed that as he was completely sound whilst defending but was also a key form of attack whilst going forward.
Magic Moment
What Else? Oli Shaw's winning penalty was nothing more or less than a magic moment. A big pressure kick which the young forward took in his stride.
Ewan Henderson striking the bar was the moment of the match for Celtic after some nice build. Both teams deserved a goal in open play and Celtic were specifically unlucky not to get it there.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments