Home My YFS

Hibs progress into semi finals after win over Morton

Hibernian FC 3

Gullan 25, Porteous 28, Watson 33

Greenock Morton 1

Duffy 88
  • Thursday, 25 January 2018
  • Easter Road Stadium, Edinburgh
  • Under 20´s
  • SFA Youth Cup

Hibernian cruised into the semi-finals of the SFA Youth Cup after a 3-1 win over visitors, Greenock Morton. Jamie Gullangot the scoring underway at Easter Road, scoring from the spot after Adam Watson was taken down inside the area by the Morton keeper.

Defender and captain, Ryan Porteous doubled the lead soon after with a leaping header after the ball was sent in from the corner flag by Fraser Murray. Innes Murray set up Watson for a third as he made a composed finish into the bottom of the right-hand corner. 

It was a slower second half in the Scottish capital. However, Morton grew into the game more in the final moments, with Mitchell Duffy bagging his side a consolation effort after good link up play with his team mates.

The visitors coped well early on with Hibernian’s pressure play, as Morton backline dealt with continues attacking moves from the hosts. However, after goalkeeper, Daniel Farrell failed to clear his lines after a pass back in the 24th minute, Adam Watson dispossessed the Morton number one and was taken down in the box.

The referee had no choice to call for the foul and award the penalty kick. Jamie Gullan stepped up to the mark and fired the ball high into the right-hand side of the net, his third goal in the competition. Farrell had dived in the right direction but the ball was out of the keeper’s reach as Hibs led in the 25th minute.

Hibs had momentum on their side as they continued to pressurise the Inverclyde club and were able to double their lead moments after their first strike. Fraser Murray sent in a ball from the corner flag, with the ball arriving from the left, Ryan Porteous leaped from the centre of the box to meet the effort with a great header. The ball travelled across goal and into the top corner as the captain got his side the second goal of the game in the 28th minute, and his second goal in this competition. 

The hosts at Easter Road went from strength to strength as they cruised to a three-goal lead in the 33rd minute. After Innes Murray controlled an aerial ball up the field, he played in Watson along the left side of goal. With the defenders unable to meet the pace of Watson, the Hibs forward produced a composed finish into the opposite side of the net.

  • Half Time:
  • Hibernian FC
  • 3-0
  • Greenock Morton

It was a slower second half in Edinburgh, as Greenock Morton came out facing an uphill battle to salvage something from the match.

However, it wasn’t until the final 10 minutes when Morton came into their stride and challenged Hibs’ backline. After a series of blocked attempts on goal in the 37th minute, Morton managed to pull a goal back just moments later. 

Morton’s attack managed to string together quick passes that saw Mitchell Duffy be sent in a ball at the left post, tapping the effort past the keeper as the ball creeped into the goal in the 88th minute. 

Unfortunately for Morton, the goal came too late for the visitors as the result means Hibernian progress into the semi-finals of the SFA Youth Cup. The side from the capital will be hoping to progress one round further compared to last season’s cup campaign. 

  • Full Time:
  • Hibernian FC
  • 3-1
  • Greenock Morton


Hibernian FC
Greenock Morton
1. Maciej Dabrowski
2. Callum Donaldson
3. Sean Mackie
4. Ryan Porteous
5. Kevin Waugh
6. Josh Campbell
7. Adam Watson
8. Ben Stirling
9. Jamie Gullan
10. Fraser Murray
11. Innes Murray
31. Patrick Martin
12. Kane O'Conner
14. Gregor Woods
15. Ruari Paton
16. Ryan Shanley
1. Daniel Farrell
2. Darren Hynes
3. Lewis Strapp
4. Ruaridh Langan
5. Nathan Durham
6. Reece Lyon
7. Mitchell Duffy
8. Ben Eardley
9. Ben Armour
10. Alexander Easdale
11. Jack Purdue
20, Charlie Carracher
12. David Anderson
14. Lewis McGrattin
15. Ben Docherty
16. Scott Miller
Star Player
Hibernian FC
Greenock Morton
Hibernian’s star player was Adam Watson. Hibs’ number seven played a crucial part during this quarter-final tie. His work rate was incredible from the first whistle was second to none. His pressure on the Morton keeper won his side a penalty and arguably, started the momentum for his team to go on and score two more. One of which was his own effort that was finished with real composure and was reminiscent of some of the finishing seen in the senior squad. Watson shouldn’t just be pleased with his team’s progression into the semi-finals but his own performance on the night was impressive to say the least.
Greenock Morton’s star player was Daniel Farrell. Going away from home in a cup competition is never an easy task for any side, but to do so against a team in a division above yours is another challenge in itself. That said, Morton’s number one impressed at Easter Road as he made countless saves to keep out the hosts efforts. Farrell started the game with a slight nerve when in possession at the back but grew into his comfort zone as the game progressed. Farrell shouldn’t feel hard done by the result as he was arguablyMorton’s best player across the 90 minutes.
Magic Moment
Hibernian FC
Greenock Morton
Hibernian’s magic moment was the goal that saw them go 3-0 up after 33 minutes of play. Three goals in eight minutes showcased how confident the home side were after they were awarded the penalty kick to convert the first of the scoring. However, the third was the best of the lot as the ball into Innes Murray was a difficult one to control. That said, the forward controlled the ball well and timed the ball into Adam Watson with perfection so that all the forward had to do was beat the charging keeper which he did confidently.
Greenock Morton’s magic moment was their consolation goal in the final minutes of the game. The hosts at Easter Road had to be weary of Morton in the final 10 minutes as they were arguably on the ascendency. In the 88th minute they were able to find an end product with Mitchell Duffy’s goal. However, it was the team play prior to Duffy’s finish which was most impressive. Morton managed to play the ball around Hibs’ defence with urgency and accuracy which meant by the time the ball reached Duffy, all the player had to do was stick the ball into the back of the net.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments