Home My YFS

Cove into next round of SYFA Challenge Cup after defeating Culter Colts

Culter Colts 1

Christie 59'

Cove BC 3

Oldroyd 2', 57', Wedderburn 54'
  • Saturday, 23 September 2017
  • Garioch Sports Centre
  • Under 19´s
  • SYFA Challenge Cup

A hotly contested tie in the first round of the SYFA Challenge Cup saw Culter Colts take on Cove BC at the Garioch Sports Centre, with both sides looking keen to advance to the next round.

Cove came out on top in the end after scoring two crucial goals within three minutes of each other in order to cement their place over a disappointed Culter side in the second round.

As the game kicked off, Cove wasted no time with their quick passing football through the midfield as Kalvin Mundie found himself up against Culter keeper Cieran Hunter who got the ball away at the edge of the box. Mundie managed to regain possession however and slid the ball to Alan Oldryod whose lofted shot from outside the box tricked Hunter who was unlucky as the ball spilled out of his hands and rolled over the line to put Cove in front.

For the early portions of the match Cove continued to boss the midfield as Culter struggled to find time on the ball. After managing to withstand the Cove pressure for the first 15 minutes, Culter started to find their feet. With plenty of space in the midfield, Scott Coutts hit a long range shot which was parried away by goalkeeper Jakub Biorka but only as far Culter striker Ross Christie whose close range effort forced Biorka to make a fantastic low save to keep his team ahead.

As Culter began to spring to life, Cove tried to match them. A good switch ball to Oldroyd was brought down excellently before being slipped through to Fraser Carnegy who would have been clean in on goal if not for a fantastic last ditch sliding tackle from Michael Horgan to tidy up the defence.  

Culter recovered from their shaky start and began to take the game to Cove in search for an equaliser. Christie made a darting run into the box from the left wing but found his shot from a tight angle again saved by the keeper.

Corners were an area in which Culter looked particularly threatening. A shot from Stuart Bridgeford was saved by the keeper high to his left only minutes before Aaron Esson was unlucky to see his headed attempt come crashing off the bar and drop into the keeper’s gloves.

Culter’s Josh Peters had been looking dangerous behind the striker for the entire half and was vital in setting up a fantastic chance as he allowed Christie to slide the ball round the defence to Aidan Wilkinson who would have levelled it up if it were not for another excellent save from Biorka down to his left.

Towards the latter part of the half the tables had turned, with Cove now appearing to be on the back foot. A swift counter attack saw Wilkinson break down the right hand side and play a through ball to Peters, whose options were limited due to good pressure from the Cove centre halves, thus resulting in a simple shot for the keeper to save.

A high tempo in the early minutes and a solid defensive performance throughout allowed Cove to stay in front as the first half ended but Culter had no reason to be disappointed as they had the better of the overall chances.

  • Half Time:
  • Culter Colts
  • 0-1
  • Cove BC

The second half began much like the first half ended – with Culter on the front foot. From out on the right Peters played a simple cross which slipped through the hands of Biorka and fell to Esson at the back post who fired wide of the empty net from only yards away.

That would be a chance that Culter came to rue as Cove went two goals to the good. Slipping past the Culter defence, Cameron Wedderburn found himself one on one with Hunter who saved the initial shot. However, despite the best efforts of Calum Lynch to clear the ball, Wedderburn was too sharp and capitalised on the rebound by rolling the ball into the bottom corner.

Rediscovering their intensity from the beginning of the first half, Cove capitalised by grabbing another goal only three minutes later. A long kick out from Biorka was kept in on the right hand touchline by Oldroyd who swerved in and out of the Culter defence before staying calm and finishing the chance low to the near post.

At this point, Culter had no option but to go out and attack the game and that was exactly what they did. An excellent cross from Bridgeford found Christie in space in the middle of the box who connected with a powerful header that the keeper had no chance of saving, giving Culter a sign of hope.

Cove would not allow Culter to comeback easily however. Their defence was rigid at every opening, refusing to let Culter through again. A Culter free kick from Calum Lynch was played over the defence to the feet of Christie who was marshalled into a tough angle, somehow managing to find a superb shot which hit off the outside of the post and deflected away for a corner.

Culter continued to press against the resilient Cove defence and thought they had found their chance with only 14 minutes to go. A long pass over the top of the Cove defence found the head of Esson who flicked the ball over the keeper as they collided whilst both vying for the ball. It was thanks to a marvellous piece of defending from Owen Gray that Cove stayed two goals to the good as he rushed back to slide on the line and clear the ball away.

Controversy ensued soon after when Esson saw himself booked twice in quick succession for arguing with the referee over the possibility of a foul during his collision with Biorka. Things soon got even worse for Culter as injuries to their already slim squad meant that they had to play part of the game with nine men.

Taking advantage of the situation, Cove reassumed their place in the driving seat for the remainder of the game, staying tight both in defence and midfield to see out the victory.

It was an exciting encounter in which for a large portion it seemed that either team could have gone through to the next round of the cup. Culter put in a valiant performance and for large portions of the game looked threatening through their quick attacking play. However, Cove were a well-structured team who, even when Culter were at their most deadly, remained composed in both attack and defence – particularly when they scored their second and third goals and when seeing the game out.

Many thanks to both teams for putting on an entertaining spectacle and good luck to victors Cove as they move into the next round of the competition.  


  • Full Time:
  • Culter Colts
  • 1-3
  • Cove BC


Culter Colts
Cove BC
3. Stuart Bridgeford
4. Calum Lynch
5. Aidan Wilkinson
7. Ross Christie
8. Scott Coutts
10. Aaron Esson
12. George Chalmers
14. Ritchie Troup
16. Josh Peters
18. Adam Hall
20. Cieran Hunter
21. Michael Horgan
2. Rory Gibb
3. Craig Kinghorn
4. Luca Giulanotti
5. Adam Coulle
6. Owen Gray
7. Shaun McCard
8. Kalvin Mundie
9. Dylan Main
10. Alan Oldroyd
11. Cameron Wedderburn
12. Aaron Findlay
14. Fraser Carnegy
16. Kyle Milne
17. Ewan Walker
18. Jakub Biorka
Star Player
Culter Colts
Cove BC
The star player for Culter Colts was Josh Peters. In the spells where Culter looked most likely to score, Peters was heavily involved. His superb range of passing and good eye for a chance meant that Culter were always dangerous.
The star player for Cove BC was Jakub Biorka. Even when play was going against them, Cove were always in safe hands thanks to Biorka who looked calm and collected throughout. He pulled off a number of sensational saves to ensure that Cove remained ahead, particularly excelling when one on one against an attacker.
Magic Moment
Culter Colts
Cove BC
The magic moment for Culter Colts was Ross Christie’s second half goal. Coming at a time when things looked dark for Culter, Christie’s powerfully placed headed goal lifted the spirits of his teammates and ensured that they were in with a shout.
The magic moment for Cove BC was Alan Oldroyd’s second goal. Only minutes after Cove’s second goal, Oldroyd put his team three to the good with a spectacular solo effort as he darted between defenders before calmly finishing the opportunity that would go on to win his team the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments