Home My YFS

EKRR beat Wishaw in a tight and enthralling encounter

EKRR Youth 3

Neilson 36, 75 Sneddon 61

Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers 1

Esson 56
  • Sunday, 17 September 2017
  • Ballerup Park
  • Under 17´s
  • Central Scotland League 2001s
EKRR Youth came into the match in good form, as they sat top of the table with three wins from three games but they did lose a Scottish cup tie 6-1 to Drumsagard.
Wishaw only had four points to show from their first three league games but did win their last game 2-1 against Hamilton Thistle, so a tight match was expected. 
The home side started off the stronger and should really have taken the lead as early as three minutes in. Ross Davie in the Wishaw goal missed the ball and Steven Richard had the goal at his mercy but somehow hit the crossbar when it seemed easier to score. 
Cole Esson had Wishaw's first shot on target a few minutes later after some good build up but it was a comfortable save for Nathan McCrohon in goal for EKRR.
The match was fairly even in the opening stages as both teams sized each other up and were desperate to get a foot hold in the game. Adam Walker had another long range shot for Wishaw that was again saved comfortably by the goalkeeper.
Wishaw were the slightly better team in the first twenty minutes, dominating possession but couldn't create any clear cut chances. 
Grant Sneddon was particularly impressive in midfield for EKRR, winning almost every header in the middle of the park. This resulted in a good opportunity again for Richard but his shot spun just wide of the Wishaw post after a good block from defender Mark Cairns.
The away side were restricted to efforts from outside the box and were struggling to break down the home team. After 25 minutes Esson had another strike from outside the box but it was an easy save for the McCrohon.
Both sides in fact were struggling to create clear cut chances, and maybe a goal was needed to spark each teams attacking players. It was the home side who were to break the deadlock.
EKRR took the lead after 36 minutes played. The ball was played through to Gregor Neilson just on the edge of the box and he finished terrifically past the Wishaw goalkeeper on the half volley giving Davie in goal no chance.
EKRR gained confidence from the goal and Dylan Price's great effort from 20 yards out went inches over the bar with the Wishaw goalkeeper scrambling.
The away side were still battling and it was a really tight contest. Wishaw won a free kick just before half time but Adam Lynch's effort went straight to the goal keeper. 
  • Half Time:
  • EKRR Youth
  • 1-0
  • Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
EKRR again started the better in the second half, and Anthony Stewart had a good opportunity to make it two having been played through by Neilson but his left footed strike went wide of the post. 
Wishaw began to get into their side and started to put big pressure on the EKRR defence but couldn't find the breakthrough. 
Esson deservedly drew Wishaw level after 56 minutes. The away side won a free kick and Adam McCrae whipped the ball in and Esson managed to scramble the ball into the net to make it 1-1 and make the last half an hour very interesting.
Sneddon then put his side back into the lead only five minutes later with a soft goal from Wishaw’s point of view, as Sneddon was left unmarked and he had the simple task of heading the ball into the back of the net past the helpless Davie.
Wishaw went in search of a second equaliser and almost found it immediately but Bartek couldn't finish past the impressive EKRR keeper as he made a smart save to deny the striker. 
Bartek had another great chance for the away side to draw level but his header went just over the bar after a great delivery from defender McCrae. 
Wishaw were putting the pressure on and looked likely to find an equaliser but EKRR were holding firm in what was an excellent and enthralling game of football. 
Ross Hayhoe had Wishaw's next big chance to make it 2-2 but again McCrohon denied the away team as he sprinted off his line to make another good save. Hayhoe couldn't find a man with the resulting rebound as the team in yellow were frustrated with the chances missed.
The home side made it 3-1 against the run of play after 75 minutes to effectively finish the game. A mix up in the Wishaw defence allowed Neilson to go through on goal and he finished smartly to get his second goal of the game. 
EKRR were able to see the game out comfortably in the remaining minutes and they will be delighted to get the win against a good Wishaw side. They were good performances across the pitch for the home side.
The away team will be disappointed with the result but they shouldn't be with their showing as they produced numerous chances to make the result different. If they can take their chances, they will certainly win more than lose this season.
  • Full Time:
  • EKRR Youth
  • 3-1
  • Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers


EKRR Youth
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
1. Nathan McCrohon
2. Ben Timlin
4. Stephen Docherty
5. Anthony Stewart
7. Jamie Borland
8. Callum Mackenzie
9. Steven Richard
10. Jordan Foster
11. Sean Malone
12. Gregor Neilson
14. Dylan Price
15. Gavin Kerr
16. Grant Sneddon
18. Zak Maher
1. Ross Davie
2. Mark Cairns
3. Adam McCrae
4. Lewis Houston
5. Brandon Walker
6. Cole Esson
7. Lee Duff
8. Reece
9. Ross Hayhoe
10. Liam Sneddon
11. Bartak
12. Jacob Fisher
16. Adam Walker
17. Adam Lynch
Star Player
EKRR Youth
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Grant Sneddon was the star player for EKRR, as he was the best player on the pitch and dominated the midfield throughout the match. He won every battle he faced and didn't allow the Wishaw midfield to get into their stride. He deservedly got on the score sheet with an easy finish and can be proud of his performance.
Liam Sneddon was the best player for Wishaw on the day. He impressed with his passing ability during the game, finding his team mates regularly and he continued to make tackles and fight for his team.
Magic Moment
EKRR Youth
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
The magic moment for the home side was their first goal, scored by Gregor Neilson. It was a wonderful strike from just outside the box to put his team in front in a first half that both teams struggled to create chances in and his strike put EKRR well on their way to victory.
This was produced by Cole Esson for Wishaw, as his goal drew the away team level and looked like they could build on this and push on for victory.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments