Home My YFS

Hearts comeback to defeat Hibs

Hibernian 1

Crane 14'

Hearts 4

Currie 30', Moore 57', 77', Morrison 90'
  • Thursday, 28 September 2017
  • Oriam, Edinburgh
  • Under 20´s
  • SPFL Development League

Jamie Braidwood | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

 Hearts came from a goal down to defeat rivals Hibs in what was a strongly contested ‘Wee Derby’ at the Oriam Performance Centre in Edinburgh.

 In a game which was shy on moments of true quality but featured plenty of grit, hard work and determination, Hearts were in the end worthy winners.

 Rory Currie’s well taken goal on the half hour mark cancelled out Hibs defender Calum Crane’s sublime opener as the two sides entered the break level.  

 But the visitors took charge of the second half, taking the lead just before the hour through Lewis Moore’s close range shot.

 As Hibs pressed for an equaliser, Hearts struck on the break. Moore grabbed his second after a devastating counter attack with less than 15 minutes to go before Callum Morrison extended their advantage with an exquisite curling effort from outside of the box.

 In what was their first home match of the new SPFL Development League season, Hibs wanted to continue their excellent start following last week’s 6-1 opening win at Kilmarnock.

 Indeed, it was the home side that settled quickest. They initially looked comfortable keeping possession whilst Hearts couldn’t get a touch.

 Hearts defenders Chris Hamilton and Marcus Godinho were called into early action to prevent shots on goal, but Hibs took the lead soon after from a corner. The initial ball into the box wasn’t dealt with and after a bit of a scuffle it broke to the edge where Crane hit a rising shot, first time with his left foot, straight into the top left corner.

 Hearts grew into the game shortly after falling behind. They fired a warning as Currie rounded the keeper and slotted the ball into the empty net - only to be called back for offside.

 The visitors were finding joy in the middle of the pitch. Their midfield of captain Angus Beith and journeyman pro Prince Buaben were moving the ball quickly, whilst Dario Zanatta was finding pockets of space in front of the Hibs back four.

 But there was one pocket of space that caused Hibs the most problems - the space in between their wing and centre backs. The equaliser came from a long ball, hit into the right channel. Currie controlled the pass before turning his man, opening his body and guiding a left footed shot into the corner and past the keeper. A fine finish, but a frustrating and preventable goal to concede for Hibs.


  • Half Time:
  • Hibernian
  • 1-1
  • Hearts

The second half was as just of a physical affair. Tackles were frequently flying in across the midfield, whilst last ditch fouls were needing to be made on the edge of the box to prevent shooting opportunities. In quick succession, three Hibs players were booked for dangerous challenges, and they almost paid a greater price when Morrison’s curling free kick struck the underside of the crossbar.

Hearts’ second was as scrappy as the general play. A low cross in from the right broke to Zanatta on the edge of the six yard box, he controlled and tried to turn but was tackled just as he was about to shoot. The ball bobbled to the left, where Moore was on hand to pass the ball into the far corner.

Hibs needed a way back into the game but, under the eye of first team boss Neil Lennon, they struggled to find one. Their best chance came with 15 minutes still to play and it followed a good move. The ball was worked into substitute Ruari Paton, who took a touch into the box and shifted it onto his left foot. His shot was deflected, looped towards goal, and needed Hearts keeper Jon McLaughlin to turn it behind.

But that was as close as Hibs got. From the resulting corner the ball was cleared and suddenly Hearts were on their way. The ball was played wide and through to Jamie Brandon, who looked up to see three teammates to his left, but only one Hibs defender. He found Moore who tucked the ball into the far corner.

Hearts then wrapped up the three points in injury time, and in sublime style. Again, the Jambos broke at speed. The ball made its way out wide to the right before it was cut back. The cross found Morrison, who was waiting at the edge of the box. He shifted it to his right before curling an unstoppable shot into the top right corner. A worthy way to win any game.


  • Full Time:
  • Hibernian
  • 1-4
  • Hearts


1. Ross Laidlaw
2. Andrew Blake
3. Sean Mackie
4. Kane O’Connor
5. Kevin Waugh
6. Calum Crane
7. Adam Watson
8. Ben Stirling
9. Jamie Gullan
10. Scott Martin
11. Innes Murray
12. Callum Donaldson
14. Ryan Shanley
15. Ruaru Shanley
16. Yrik Gallantes
31. Patrick Martin
1. Jon McLaiughlin
2. Jamie Brandon
3. Marcus Godinho
4. Bartlomeiji Gajda
5. Chris Hamitlon
6. Prince Buaben
7. Callum Mirrison
8. Angus Beith
9. Rory Currie
10. Dario Zanntta
11. Lewis Moore
12. Alex Petkov
13. Kelby Mason
14. Jay Sandison
15. Harry Cochrane
16. Marc Leonard
17. Aaron Reid
18. Andrew Irving
Star Player
Ben Stirling Stirling was a force in the centre of midfield. Tall, strong, technically sound, Stirling looks as if he has many qualities to his game, and he displayed them all here in what was a good performance.
Callum Morrison A constant threat on Hearts' left wing. Terrified his full back all day long thanks to his pace, deftness and touch. He was also aggressive and wasn't afraid of getting stuck into what was an extremely physical derby. Scored one stunning goal, and was unlucky not to get two when his free kick hit off the bar.
Magic Moment
Calum Crane's opening goal for the Hibees was their best moment of the day. A stunning, rising shot from outside of the box that flew like an arrow into the top left corner.
The game had already been won by the time Callum Morrison scored his goal, but what a goal it was. Cutting in from the right he curled it perfectly into the top right corner.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments