Home My YFS

Stirling Albion blitz three past Cumbernauld to lift league cup

Stirling Albion Junior Academy 3

Sessford 7, 23, Tough 31

Cumbernauld Colts 1

Curtis 70+1
  • Sunday, 18 June 2017
  • The Falkirk Stadium
  • Under 13´s
  • FVFDA League Cup

Jack Thomson | YFS Falkirk Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Three first half goals were enough to put Stirling Albion on track for victory in the FVFDA League Cup final at the Falkirk Stadium. 

The opening goal came on 7 minutes when Alexander Davidson raced clear. The forward was tackled but Thomas Sessford was on hand to thrash the ball home from just outside the penalty area. 

At that point the game became quite scrappy with countless loose passes, until the 21st minute when Stirling Albion’s Lewis McFarlane came close with a lob. 

The Binos had a second on 23 minutes and it was Sessford again. This time, the forward had spectators applauding with a lovely Dennis Bergkamp-esque turn before rolling the ball into the bottom left corner. 

On 31 minutes, Albion had a third and it was game, set and match. A short corner fed the ball to Arran Ward on the edge of the area and his driven effort couldn’t be held by the goalkeeper, allowing Callum Tough to head home. 

They nearly had a fourth minutes before the half when Jake MacGowan cut in from the right, only to see his curling effort palmed away. McFarlane looked set to put away the rebound but the goalkeeper saved again. 


  • Half Time:
  • Stirling Albion Junior Academy
  • 3-0
  • Cumbernauld Colts

Stirling Albion continued to press in the second half and on 45 minutes McFarlane teed up Davidson but his low strike was held by the goalkeeper. 

Minutes later, McFarlane’s ball in from the right was spilled by the goalkeeper, allowing Sessford to take a touch and shoot but he could only direct his strike into the side netting. 

It was all Albion and Kieran Whyte showed tenacity to win the ball and break but his driven shot was stopped by the goalkeeper’s feet. 

There was encouragement for Cumbernauld as the game approached the hour mark as Musa Mohammed got his head on a cross from the right but he couldn't get enough power on it to trouble the keeper. 

In the 69th minute, Stirling Albion’s Whyte showed the strength to outmuscle his man and break clear but he could only fire wide of the left post. 

 Cumbernauld scored a consolation goal in the first minute of stoppage time and what a strike it was. Aaron Curtis curled an excellent free-kick into the top left corner leaving the goalkeeper with no chance. 


  • Full Time:
  • Stirling Albion Junior Academy
  • 3-1
  • Cumbernauld Colts


Stirling Albion Junior Academy
Cumbernauld Colts
17. Max Dryden
2. Shaun Duff
4. Craig Gow
5. Callum Tough
9. Lewis McFarlane
19. Jake MacGowan
11. Thomas Sessford
7. Arron Ward
10. Alexander Davidson
1. Calum Gordon
6. Ben Bremner
3. Scott Reid
16. Harris Ogilvie
20. Steven Bayne
15. Deri McDonald
13. Kieran Whyte
1. Michel Milton
2. Leo McLean
3. Lewis McCracken
6. Mathew McLaughlin
7. Jonathan McFegan
8. Charlie Hogan
9. Blair Knox
10. David Boyd
11. Musa Mohammed
12. Sam Hunter
13. Aaron Curtis
17. Lewis Irvine
21. Callum Twain
23. Carter Smith
27. Liam Murphy
Star Player
Stirling Albion Junior Academy
Cumbernauld Colts
Thomas Sessford was devastating on the counter attack and was clinical in his finishing.
Musa Muhammed was a threat throughout and worked hard for his team's cause.
Magic Moment
Stirling Albion Junior Academy
Cumbernauld Colts
Thomas Sessford's second goal was a moment of real quality and grabbed the headlines on the day.
Ultimately Aaron Curtis' free-kick didn't count for anything but that doesn't detract from the fact it was a wonderful strike.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments