Home My YFS

Injury time winner as Mill United overcome Wishaw

Mill United 3

Allan, Brown, Kelso

Wishaw Wycombe 2

Kyle (2)
  • Sunday, 06 March 2016
  • Jock Stein Centre
  • Under 17´s
  • LFDA League

Fraser McLuggage | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

It was a game of two halves at the Jock Stein Centre in Hamilton. The away side, Wishaw Wycombe went in at the break with a two goal lead, however Mill United came out fighting in the second half and pulled the game level before grabbing all three points with a late injury time winner.

It was Wishaw Wycombe who got the game underway as both teams started strongly. The majority of the first half was end-to-end attacking football, however the chances being created weren’t enough to cause any concern to either goalkeeper.

Mill United were going for an over the top ball attacking approach, trying to use their height advantage, whereas Wishaw Wycombe kept the ball on the ground and tried to pass their way through the United defence.

Wycombe broke the deadlock when Cameron Browning won the ball with a sliding challenge on the touchline; he played the ball through to Colm Lafferty, who flicked the ball through a gap in the Mill United defence for Mark Kyle to slot it into the back of the net, giving the goalkeeper no chance.

It was two goals in quick succession for Wycombe. Fantastic football down the right hand side, a series of 1-2’s across the edge of the box before slipping the ball through to Josh Lindsay who’s shot was blocked, but the rebound fell to Mark Kyle, leaving him with the simplest of finishes as he hit the roof of the net to secure his second of the afternoon.

Mill United tried to get a goal back before half time. Kieran Mulvanney did well to stay strong in the corner, holding off two defenders but his cross hit the side netting.

Ross Brown was showcasing his skills when he found himself under pressure from Colm Lafferty and Josh Lindsay, instead of passing the ball he pulled off a magnificent roulette turn and then played the ball up the line to Ross Dunbar.

Wishaw Wycombe came close to making it 0-3 just before half time. Cameron Browning struck a free kick from 30 yards out, with Jack Campbell tipped his curling effort onto the bar.

The referee blew for half time. Both teams played very attractive football but chances were hard to come by, the few chances that Wycombe created were taken.

  • Half Time:
  • Mill United
  • 0-2
  • Wishaw Wycombe

The Mill United team talk must have fired the players up; they came out fighting in the second half. Kieran Mulvanney drilled the ball into the box, a scramble at the edge of the six-yard box as Wycombe couldn’t get the ball clear and United couldn’t get a shot away. Brave goalkeeping from Aidan Sheridan as he pounced at the feet of the attackers and came out with the ball.

Mill United won a free kick in a promising area just outside the Wycombe box. Ross Brown hit a curling shot heading for the near post, which split the wall and drifted inches wide of the target.

Wycombe tried to kill the game off when Lee Hadden used his blistering pace to beat his man on the wing, he cut inside and cut the ball back to Colm Lafferty but his shot was straight at the goalkeeper.

Aiden Sheridan left Mill United wondering what they had to do to score when he made a superb diving save. Laurence Jeffrey hit a shot heading for the top left corner, it looked unstoppable but Sheridan got a strong hand to it and then collected the loose ball.

Eventually United found a lifeline that would give them the boost they needed to go on and win the game. Fraser Allan was at the back post when he tucked the ball into the net.

Mill United knew they had to take advantage of the swing in momentum and started pushing for the equalizer.

An improvised chip over the Wycombe defence gave Ross Brown space to run in behind and chip the goalkeeper rushing off his line, leveling the scores at two goals a piece.

Things went from bad to worse for Wishaw Wycombe as they conceded a late free kick just inside their own half. Lewis Kelso thumped the ball towards the penalty spot; it bounced just after the penalty spot and over the keeper’s head into the top corner putting Mill United in the lead for the first time in the match in injury time.

A flare in tempers saw Wishaw Wycombe going down to ten men as the goal scorer Mark Kyle saw a second yellow for protests about a challenge on his teammate.

Wycombe had one last chance to steal a point, a free kick from 30 yards out gave Oscar Bochniak a chance to hit a shot, but it was straight at the goalkeeper.

The referee blew his whistle for full time. It was late drama that concluded a tale of two halves. A fantastic comeback from Mill United to take all three points, and a disappointing second half for Wishaw Wycombe, as they will feel they deserved at least a point from the match after going in at the break with a two goal advantage.

  • Full Time:
  • Mill United
  • 3-2
  • Wishaw Wycombe


Mill United
Wishaw Wycombe
1. Jack Campbell
17. Fraser Allan
6. Mark Brannen
10. Ross Brown
14. Joshua McGrillen
2. Mark Drummond
4. Ross Dunbar
5. Ryan Jamieson
3. Lewis Kelso
8. Deryn Lang
15. Christian Machina
9. Quinn Mcairn
7. Kevin McNulty
11. Kieran Mulvanney
12. James Straiton
14. Laurence Jeffrey
1. Aidan Sheridan
6. Gary Torrance
18. Aaron Bell
9. Mark Kyle
4. Chritopher Smith
10. Lee Hadden
5. Dylan Monks
11. Cameron Pow
3. Adam Blair
2. Dom Lunny
12. Colm Lafferty
16. Oscar Bochniak
19. Josh Lindsay
20. Cameron Browning
17. Ryan Watt
14. Conor Smith
Star Player
Mill United
Wishaw Wycombe
Ross Brown - He was a terrific playmaker and was involved in the majority of attacks. He also scored the equalising goal. He was good with the ball at his feet and took on defenders at every chance he got.
Mark Kyle - He scored two goals in quick succession in the first half. He caused defenders problems all afternoon and he was unlucky not to get a hat trick in the second half.
Magic Moment
Mill United
Wishaw Wycombe
Ross Brown found himself under pressure from two opposition players. Instead of playing a simple pass he tried a piece of skill and did a roulette turn past both of them before playing the ball up the line to a teammate.
A shot that looked destined for the top left corner was somehow saved by Aidan Sheridan. The goalkeeper dived and got a strong hand to the ball taking the sting out of the shot and got back to his feet quickly to pick up the loose ball.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments