Home My YFS

Jerviston into the next round thanks to shootout win

Jerviston Boys Club 2

Callum Steele, Aiden McDade, Nicholas McNally

Syngenta Juveniles FC 2

Aaron Miller, Jamie Penman, Kieran McLaughlin
  • 3-3 AET, Jerviston win 6-5 on penalties
  • Saturday, 20 February 2016
  • Strathclyde Park, Motherwell
  • Under 14´s
  • Central Regional Cup

Fraser McLuggage | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Jerviston Boys Club went head to head with Syngenta Juveniles in a Central Regional Cup clash at Strathclyde Park in Motherwell on a cold rainy morning. Jerviston were dominant in the air and Syngenta worked the ball well in the final third. Both teams battled it out for seventy minutes and then into extra time but the teams were stuck at a stalemate and the match had to be decided by a penalty shoot out which Jerviston won in sudden death.
The wet conditions made it hard for both teams to keep possession and create chances. Scott Hamilton tried to put his teammate Dylan Taylor through on goal but the ball ran out for a goal kick to Syngenta.

Syngenta had their first attempt on goal but the Jerviston goalkeeper got a hand to Aaron Millers low shot.

Jerviston showed how dangerous they could be in the air when Callum Steele rose above the Syngenta defenders to head the ball into the top corner and give his team the lead.

However an instant reaction from Syngenta saw them grab the equalizer moments after conceding. Aaron Miller cut inside onto his stronger foot and tucked the ball into the corner of the net.

Syngenta were hungry for another goal and pressed the ball high up the pitch straight from kick off. Jamie Penman won the ball off of a stunned Jerviston and slotted the ball past the keeper.

The tempo of the game slowed down and the only other chance of the half came from Liam Milne who twisted and turned inside the box before laying it off for his teammate to strike, but a great save from Jed Young kept Syngenta in the lead.

  • Half Time:
  • Jerviston Boys Club
  • 1-2
  • Syngenta Juveniles FC

The second half started similarly to the first half, as neither team could keep the ball long enough to create goal-scoring opportunities.

Jerviston won a free kick just inside the Syngenta half giving them a chance to put the ball in the box. The ball was floated into the danger area and the captain Aiden McDade lost his marker and headed the ball home.

Jerviston used the swing in momentum to go on another attack. The substitute Nicholas McNally received the ball with his back to goal, turned and hit a shot destined for the top corner, however somehow Jed Young managed to get a strong hand to it to deny the striker.

With less than ten minutes to go, both teams went for it and tried to win the game.

Jerviston’s Nicholas McNally cut the ball across the face of goal but the shot from Nathan Todd was narrowly wide.

Syngenta tried to counter attack with Myles Wilson sprinting down the wing before playing the ball inside to Aaron Miller but Aidan McDade put pressure on him and won the ball back for Jerviston.

Niall Burns took a late free kick for Syngenta from the right hand side of the box, he drilled the ball to the feet of Jamie Penman but he couldn’t keep the shot down and it went high over the bar.

  • Full Time:
  • Jerviston Boys Club
  • 2-2
  • Syngenta Juveniles FC
Both teams looked tired in extra time and had to dig deep to stay in the game. Jerviston thought they had won the game when they took the lead in extra time. Yet another headed goal as Nicholas McNally got on the end of a corner kick. Jervistons lead was cancelled out moments later when Aaron Miller beat his man before playing the ball across to Kieran McGlaughlin who finished it off to tie up the scores and send the game to penalties. The game had to be decided on penalties. Both teams scored the first five penalties but it was Jerviston who edged through winning in sudden death (6-5)

Final Result: 3-3 AET, Jerviston win 6-5 on penalties


Jerviston Boys Club
Syngenta Juveniles FC
2. Paul Devlin
3. Liam Milne
4. Jonathan Rowlich
5. Callum Steele
6. Ross Lyle
7. Scott Hamilton
10. Fraser McDonald
12. Mark Ross
13. Aiden McDade
14. Nathan Todd
15. Jon Joseph O'Hanlon 17. Dylan Taylor
18. Joshua Lowe
19. Bryan Boyle
21. Nicholas McNally
38. Ethan Bonner
1. Jed Young
2. Myles Wilson
3. Cameron Ledwidge
4. Kai Lees
5. Cole Cattanach
6. Kameron Jackson
7. Aaron Whitelaw
8. Tristan McArthur
9. Aaron Miller
11. Eli Allan
12. Finlay Millar
14. Niall Burns
15. Sam Kinney
16.Ben Graham
17. Cooper Duff
19. Connor Montgomery
20. Kieran McLaughlin
23. Jamie Penman
Star Player
Jerviston Boys Club
Syngenta Juveniles FC
Nicholas McNally - He came off the bench to make a real impact on the game. He ran at defenders and tried to win the game for his team. He put defenders under pressure by pressing them deep in their own half. He also scored a goal in extra time and converted his penalty.
Aaron Miller - He was involved in two of the goals and kept his team in the cup tie. He scored to level the scores at 1-1 which also swung the momentum in favour of Syngenta and got the assist to make it 3-3 and send the game to penalties.
Magic Moment
Jerviston Boys Club
Syngenta Juveniles FC
Jerviston's set pieces allowed them to get three goals from headers. They were well worked and caused Syngenta to be concerned when defending free kicks and corners.
Syngenta's fight back after they conceded a goal and turned the game around instantly with goals in quick succession to make it 2-1.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments