Home My YFS

Ten goal bonanza as Blue Brazil exit cup at Lewis United Youth's expense

Blue Brazil BC 4

Bain 21' Watt 62' Muir 78' Mitchell 89'

Lewis United Youth FC 4

Ward 1' 73' 106' Young 28' Esson (p) 53' Marr 93'
  • 4-6 After Extra-Time
  • Saturday, 12 December 2015
  • Beath HS
  • Under 15´s
  • SYFA Scottish Cup

Matthew Sigsworth | YFS Fife Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Blue Brazil bowed out of this seasons Scottish Cup in the Fifth Round on Saturday, but there was no shortage of drama for the watching fans as their tie with Lewis United served up a festive footballing treat which will surely go down as one of the games of the season.

The visitors held a slender two goal lead at the interval thanks to goals from Robert Ward and Ross Young either side of a Max Bain equaliser. However it was in the second half that the game really came to life, with Murray Esson stretching the visitors lead from the penalty spot before James Watt clawed one back for the hosts with a well-placed free kick. Ward looked to have won the game for Lewis when he bagged his second goal of the game, but there was late drama as Fraser Muir’s towering header and Jake Mitchell’s stunning overhead kick in the dying seconds forced the match into extra time. There was to be no fairy-tale comeback for Blue Brazil though, as a Ben Marr strike and a hat-trick goal for Ward sealed the game and sent Lewis through to the sixth round.

The tone was set from the first whistle, as Lewis came forward right from the kick off and had the ball in the back of the net before their opponents had managed a single touch. A ball clipped in from the wing was nicely cushioned into the path of Ward, whose volley had too much power for Jed Muir in the Blue Brazil goal.

Despite the early set back, the home side responded with purpose and almost struck back immediately, but after being picked out with a long ball Liam Woods could only send his volley into the side netting.

The game had started at a blistering pace, and Ward was looking dangerous for the visitors with his pace and power causing all sorts of problems. First, he curled over a right footed effort from the edge of the area, before sending in a low cross from the left which Gregor Whyte side footed agonisingly wide of the post.

After early chances for both sides, it was Blue Brazil who began to look the better team as they tried to capitalise on their home advantage. First, Bain saw a right footed shot blocked before Jack Jardine had a golden chance to equalise; heading wide after he was picked out by an inch perfect free kick from Dylan Harrison.

Blue Brazil were getting joy down the right flank with their pace, and after another lung busting run by Woods, he cut inside and squared the ball for Harrison, who got his shot away but could only fire over the bar.

The home side were growing in confidence, and were soon rewarded with a goal as Bain beat the offside trap to race onto Jardine’s flick on, and lob the ball cheekily over the onrushing Matthew Buckham.

Looking to build on that equaliser, Blue Brazil again attacked down the right with Harrison; but his cross was gathered by Buckham to snuff out the danger. Woods then again sent a good ball in from the right hand side, but to his frustration none of his teammates had taken a gamble and the chance came to nothing.

Harrison then had a wonderful chance to put his side in front, but after Jardine had laid the ball square for his teammate, he could only send his right footed shot over the bar.

Blue Brazil were soon made to rue their missed chances, as Lewis snuck back in front with a goal from absolutely nothing. Some good play on the edge of the area forced a corner, and when the ball was only half cleared; Young was found unmarked at the far post to tap in and regain the lead for his side.

The hosts rallied before half time, and some nice combination play between Harrison and Woods fashioned a chance for the latter, but he didn’t catch the shot properly and instead sliced the ball wide of the target.

There was still time for one more chance for Blue Brail to draw level before the break, with Jay Watson rising highest to meet a free kick, but his flick towards goal was saved by Buckham to make sure it was the visitors who went in ahead at the break.  

  • Half Time:
  • Blue Brazil BC
  • 1-2
  • Lewis United Youth FC

The hosts started the second half with the same intent with which they had finished the first, and Bain had a chance early on when a cross to the far post found him unmarked, but he could only fire wide from close range. Harrison then almost got lucky when his cross rebounded off Buckham’s near post and away for a goal kick.

There was still plenty of danger from Lewis though, and Ward had an opportunity to get a third for his side when he found himself in behind the Blue Brazil defence, but his touch was heavy and the chance was gone.

Jardine had a fantastic chance to again bring the home side level, but he headed over after being picked out by a great ball in from the wing. Jardine then turned provider as he chested down for Watson, but his effort was well blocked and Lewis were able to clear.  

The next goal wasn’t long in coming however, and it was the away side who moved further ahead as Esson converted from the spot after Liam Jackson had seen red for bringing Marr down inside the area.

That goal was the catalyst for a frantic climax to the game. Blue Brazil were again able to claw a goal back when Watt bent a sweet free kick around the wall and into the bottom corner.

Just as the home side thought they were back in the game, Lewis again doubled their advantage through an excellent finish from Ward. After showing good strength to shrug off a defender, he carried the ball forward with purpose before firing a low shot into the bottom corner, well out of reach for the diving Muir.

Lewis were now looking to put the game to bed, and Rory Brown had a sight of goal with a free kick; but his effort was too high as Blue Brazil clung on. Esson also had an opportunity, but his quick shot also fizzed just over the bar.

As the game approached the final ten minutes, there was more yet drama as Muir jumped highest in a crowded penalty and sent his header crashing into the back of the net to set up a grandstand finish.

And the game certainly didn’t disappoint. As with just seconds to spare a cross was only partly cleared, and when the ball was thrown back into the mixer Mitchell met it with a stunning bicycle kick that left Buckham with no chance, sending the home fans into raptures on the side-lines.

With the game almost over Blue Brazil piled forward in search of a famous winner, but they could not find a way through as the referee called time on a thrilling encounter and sent the two sides into extra time.

  • Full Time:
  • Blue Brazil BC
  • 4-4
  • Lewis United Youth FC
In keeping with the game before it, the first half of extra time got off to a flying start. After Ward’s free kick was well saved by Muir, there was nobody marking Marr who was able to tap in the re-bound and get his side back in front.

Lewis came agonisingly close to regaining their two goal advantage for a third time moments later, but were stopped by some valiant defending from the home side.

First, Ward raced past the last defender and chipped his effort beyond Muir, only to see the ball headed off the line. Lucas Murray then forced a brilliant save from Muir, and when Ward closed in on the loose ball he seemed certain to score, but the shot was brilliantly blocked on the line as Blue Brazil hung on.

The second half of extra time was do or die for the home team; and after squandering a great chance at one end following a breakdown in communication in the Lewis defence, Blue Brazil then presented Ward with an opportunity to wrap things up as he beat two players on his way to goal but could only fire his shot over the bar.

The knock out blow was not long in coming however, as Ward finally completed his hat-trick with a well taken finish; slotting home after another mazy run through the heart of the Blue Brazil defence.

Despite a spirited and gutsy performance, this time the home side had no time to respond. The final whistle sparked wild celebrations among the travelling fans and players alike; and after consecutive 4-4 draws in the competition, Lewes may just be the team to watch out for in the next round.

Final Result: 4-6 After Extra-Time


Blue Brazil BC
Lewis United Youth FC
1. Jed Muir
2. Lewis Morton
3. Jake Mitchell
4. Liam Woods
5. Robbie Foreman
6. James Watt
7. Liam Jackson
8. Jay Watson
9. Lewis Morgan
10. Dean Nicoll
11. Dylan Harrison
12. Ryan Mauchlen
14. Max Bain
16. Fraser Muir
17. Luke Smith
18. Jack Jardine
1. Matthew Buckham
2. Lucas Murray
3. Ryan Lawrence
4. Owen Murison
5. Harley Stewart
6. Ben Marr
7. Murray Esson
9. Robert Ward
10. Ross Young
11. Kai Morrison
14. Gregor Whyte
16. Cai Matthew
19. Rory Brown
20. Joel Murray
Star Player
Blue Brazil BC
Lewis United Youth FC
Max Bain - Was a constant threat on the ball with his driving runs and incisive passing. A goal to his name and plenty of other chances that on a different day may have been enough to carry his side into the next round.
Robert Ward - A hat-trick to his name as well as a host of other chances, Ward had a sensational game for his side. Strong on the ball and with the pace to take on his man, his goals and his support play were exceptional.
Magic Moment
Blue Brazil BC
Lewis United Youth FC
No doubt about this whatsoever. A sublime overhead kick from Jake Mitchell to take the game to extra time. Perfect timing and world class execution, the very definition of a magic moment!
Not many sides force a two goal lead three times and still end up losing, so the relief among the travelling fans when Robert Ward fired in his side's sixth and final goal was palpable. A great run, great finish, and a hat-trick goal to wrap up a great game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments