Home My YFS

West Park cruise into Round 3 at Sauchie's expense

Written by  West Park United

Fixture: West Park United v Sauchie Juniors U13
Competition: Central Region Cup U13's - Round 2
Venue: Turnbull High, Bishopbriggs
Date: Saturday 28th November 2015
West Park welcomed Sauchie Juniors FC from Stirling to Bishopbriggs for their Round 2 match in the Central Regional Cup. As is becoming normal these days, the weather was once again atrocious with driving rain throughout the match to ensure no player, coach or spectator would be dry at the end of this match.
Once again, West Park were quick to get into their stride and did not stand back and admire their visitors. West Park scored two quick-fire goals in the first 5 minutes of the match to take control early on. The first arrived from Dean Mooney with a good finish inside the box with Rhys McNamee scoring the second by ensuring he was first to an in-swinging corner and slotting past the goalkeeper. 
It was pleasing to see good football being played by West Park in the conditions, and they continually tried to play the ball on the deck from the back, with good linking up from with midfield. This play started to open up the Sauchie defence with their mixed passing game. The home side won a free kick on the edge of the box which was taken by Ben Kennedy. With his trusty left-foot, he venomously struck the ball towards goal, it crashed the underside of the crossbar and bounced over the line to make it 3-0 to West Park. 
Sauchie tried to fight their way back into the game, and pulled one back with a good finish past the on rushing Ewan Murray in goals after a through ball played through the West Park defence.
However, this was only a temporary blip for West Park, and they rapidly re-took control of the match with Dean scoring his second of the game with a fantastic strike into the top corner. The flick to play him in by Jamie Etherson was world class!
Dean’s hat-trick was achieved after good work by Cameron Dutton harrying the Sauchie defence, winning possession and playing a quick square ball in the box for Dean. He didn't need asking twice as his first time shot was sweeped into the corner of the net.
The first half scoring was rounded off with another superb example of team play, with Cameron playing captain Ryan Todd into space down the right wing, who then made a great pass for Dean to slot into the opposite corner, giving the goalkeeper no chance.
Half Time:  West Park United 6-1 Sauchie Juniors
With the game going well in West Parks favour, the coaches decided to freshen up the line-up and made a few substitutions at half-time so players all had an opportunity to play and not waiting about in the bad weather. The home side resumed where they left off and were again on the score-sheet early in the second half. Kian Havlin notched his first goal of the season by latching onto a through ball, taking a good first touch and slotting into the corner.
Ryan Todd added to his good run of form by scoring from another long distance strike, and Cameron then got himself on the score sheet by reacting first to a loose ball after a free kick was blocked in the box.
In the closing stages, West Park confirmed the superiority with Ewan Collins scoring from left back by placing a shot high in the net with a well struck shot, Dean added his 5th of the game with a thunderous free kick from the edge of the box and Ryan scored after a wonderful solo run from midfield beating at least 7 players, to notch his 2nd of the game.
Full Time: West Park 9-1 Sauchie Juniors
This was another strong win for West Park and stormed into the 3rd round in stormy conditions.  The game had flash points throughout and the referee had some tough decisions to make but overall, it was West Park’s day once again.
Next game up is the delayed Scottish Cup 3rd round match away to Celtic Boys Club, so the boys will need to keep up their hard work and continue to play their own game to ensure they do their utmost to hopefully take their place in the 4th round.
Login to post comments