Home My YFS

West Park United thunder into the next round at East Kilbride's expense

Written by  West Park United U13's

Fixture: West Park United v East Kilbride YC U13
Competition: Central Region Cup - Round 1
Venue: Bishopbriggs Academy
Date: Saturday 7th November 2015
West Park United welcomed Lanarkshire League opponents East Kilbride YC to Bishopbriggs for their 1st round match in the Central Regional Cup. The opposition were riding high in their league, scoring plenty of goals so the West Park side knew they would need to work hard to get a result.
Unfortunately the weather was not the best, but the rain didn’t affect West Park as they quickly took control of the match from the first whistle. West Park took an early lead after only 2 minutes, with Jack Tweedie scoring from close range after putting pressure on the East Kilbride keeper from a corner.
This settled any nerves that West Park players may have had, and they continued to press their opponents with good passing moves from defence to midfield and good link up play with the strikers. Whenever East Kilbride did get a hold of the ball they were under relentless pressure from the dogged West Park players, which forced them to make errors to give the home side opportunities.
West Park went 2-0 up after 15 mins as Fraser Cruickshanks picked up the ball outside the penalty area, turned expertly and fired the ball low into the bottom corner. A few personnel changes from West Park paid off with a few more goals before the half time interval.
First of all, another good strike high towards the top corner from Fraser was well saved by the East Kilbride keeper, but the ball rolled loose to Lewis Clancy who placed a powerful first-time shot high into the net. The lead was extended from a free kick wide on the right, after a great in-swinging ball from Ben Kennedy was finished well by Rhys McNamee with a first time volley.
The scoring in the first half was rounded off by Rhys McNamee who finished superbly following a great passing move from the West Park side, for his second goal of the game.
Half Time: West Park United 5-0 East Kilbride YC
The West Park boys were told in the half-time team talk to keep playing their own game, and continue to pass the ball well and press their opponent, and in the second half, they didn't disappoint. They followed on from their first half performance by creating plenty of chances to extend their lead but a mixture of poor finishing and good goalkeeping kept them out.
However, it wasn’t long before West Park scored again after the referee awarded a penalty for a foul on Jamie Etherson. Jamie dusted himself down and calmly slotted the resultant spot kick into the bottom corner to make it six.
Goal number seven soon arrived with Rhys completing his hat-trick. After the initial effort was well saved by the East Kilbride keeper, Rhys was alert and pounced on the loose ball to knock the ball home.
Despite being on the wrong end of a heavy score line, East Kilbride were always a danger and had a few opportunities to score with good balls into space behind West Parks defence. The home side were determined to keep that clean sheet however with superb block and tackles, along with top class saves from the man between the sticks, Euan Murray.
West Park maintained their pressure, made substitutions to freshen up the line-up, and created more and more opportunities as the game wore on. Lewis added his second of the game with a good finish in the box, then Matthew Archer added another with a strike the rippled the net. In the final minute, Ryan Todd rounded off the scoring in style with a thunderbolt of a strike into the roof of the net from outside the penalty area.
Full Time: West Park United 9-0 East Kilbride YC
Login to post comments