Home My YFS

Coltswood hold nerve to win Central Region Cup

Coltswood Athletic 3

O'Toole 7, Pryce 30, McCann 49

Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers 3

Hadden 15 46, Kyle 55
  • Coltswood Athletic 3-3 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers (Coltswood win 5-3 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 07 June 2015
  • Ochilview Park
  • Under 16´s
  • Central Region Cup - Final

Rafie Thompson | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Coltswood had to go through the daunting penalty shoot out to defeat a very tough opponent in Wishaw WW. With the final score locked at 3-3 it was Coltswood who held their nerve to win the Scottish Youth FA Central Region Cup at Stenhousemuir.

Goals from Robbie O’Toole, Rhys Pryce and McCann could not win the game outright for Coltswood as Wishaw kept in the game with a brace from Lee Hadden and a goal from Mark Kyle. However Athletic did prevail on penalties after ‘keeper Jack Weir made the winning save in what was a nervy penalty shoot-out.

It was the eventual winners that opened the scoring after 7 minutes. Ross Inglis’ cross found the head of No.11 Robbie O’Toole and his well placed header evaded the ‘keeper and nestled into the corner of the net.

Wishaw got their equaliser through Lee Hadden. After Adam Blair made a good tackle to dispossess the Coltswood attack Dom Lunny drove through the midfield unchallenged. His shot from range troubled the ‘keeper and Hadden was there after the ‘keeper spilled the ball to knock in the rebound to equalise.

Wishaw were increasing the pressure as Hadden had another shot on goal after a through ball from Gary Torrance, his shot was just wide of the right post. Wycombe were very unlucky not to increase their lead when a minute later when Torrance’s free kick was missed by the keeper and it was unlucky for Euan Leonard when the ball agonisingly hit him in the midriff with him unable to control it but bounced wide with the goal gaping.

It was Coltswood Athletic who went in front again however as Darren McLeish showed the full back a clean set of heels with his cross finding Rhys Pryce who, despite the ‘keeper changing the flight of the ball, managed to squeeze it in the near post to make it 2-1.

Wishaw kept up the pressure as Hadden had another chance when his turn opened up space, his resulting shot was just wide of the left post.

A long ball from defence was the assist to the next goal as Wishaw drew level. Hadden expertly controlled the ball and from 25 yards on the left side of the box he dipped a volley under the crossbar into the far side of the net in what was a great goal.

  • Half Time:
  • Coltswood Athletic
  • 2-2
  • Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers

The back and forth nature of the game carried on though as Athletic went ahead once again. An inswinging corner met the head of McCann and there was nothing the ‘keeper could do as it flew past him to make the score 3-2.

Wishaw kept the pressure up as Euan Leonard’s free kick was agonisingly close to hitting the back of the net from 30 yards. The 30 yard free-kick left the crossbar rattling as Wishaw nearly hit back instantly in this end to end game of football.

It was Mark Kyle who pulled Wishaw WW level in the 55th minute. He found himself in acres of space after a pass from Michael Lone and he had all the time in the world to finish into the far corner from 12 yards.

Coltswood had a good partnership in the form of Pryce and McLeish as they linked up twice in the next few minutes to fashion good chances. The first saw a through ball reach McLeish whose chip went over the bar and the second saw McLeish again shoot just wide of the right post after a chipped through ball from Pryce.

Coltswood were inches from conceding when Kyle’s shot trickled past the keeper and was rolling towards the goal only for a Wishaw defender to come rushing and clear it off the line before it rolled into the net.

Wishaw ramped up the pressure and Jack Weir made a great save to deny Kyle’s powerful header from close range in the 68th minute to keep his game in the tie. That save would prove to be crucial as they kept the score at 3-3.

  • Full Time:
  • Coltswood Athletic
  • 3-3
  • Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Extra time was uneventful as a large midfield battle ensued with the only chance of note coming from Wishaw’s no.15 Richard Watson.

Soon the teams had to face the realisation of the penalty shootout and it was Athletic who held their nerve as each of their players stepped up to the task with little fear, scoring 5 out of 5, and it was Jack Weir who proved to be the hero as he saved the final penalty to win his side the cup.

Final Result: Coltswood Athletic 3-3 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers (Coltswood win 5-3 on penalties)


Coltswood Athletic
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
3. Lewis Watt
4. Robbie McCann
5. Ross Inglis
6. Michael Lone
7. Rhys Pryce
8. Fraser Allardyce
9. Darren McLeish
11. Robbie O'Toole
12. Jack Weir
14. Luke Murphy
15. Christopher Purdie
17. Szymon Piwnicki
18. Darroch Murdoch
1. Aidan Sheridan
2. Dom Lunny
3. Adam Blair
4. Chris Smith
5. Dylan Monks
6. Gary Torrance
7. Keirran Jessimer
8. Euan Leonard
9. Mark Kyle
10. Lee Hadden
11. Cameron Pow
12. Colm Lafferty
15. Richard Watson
16. Oscar Bochinak
17. Lee Houston
18. Aaron Bell
Star Player
Coltswood Athletic
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Jack Weir. Penalty Shootout hero and made a few crucial saves during the game. Top class goalkeeper
Lee Hadden. Showed his ability and flair as he popped up with a brace for his team. Did all he could to help his side but in the end could not prevent the penalty shootout loss.
Magic Moment
Coltswood Athletic
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Weir's penalty save. A great save as the 'keeper guessed right to win his team the cup.
Lee Hadden's volley. Great technique as his volley from 18 yards was dipped under the bar after a long ball.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments