Home My YFS

Carbrain comeback claims Central Region Cup

Carbrain BC 3

Whitmore 52' Andrews 53' 65'

Jerviston FC 2

Duddy 3' 29'
  • Saturday, 06 June 2015
  • Ochilview Park
  • Under 14´s
  • Central Region Cup

Rafie Thompson | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Three second half goals from Carbrain BC saw them claim the SYFA Central Region Cup in emphatic fashion against Jerviston FC on a blustery day afternoon at Stenhousemuir. An exciting comeback saw the maroon side come back from a two goal deficit to win 3-2.
 A first half brace from Robbie Duddy showed that Jerviston were very much up for the fight but Carbrain turned out a near perfect second half performance which saw Lee Whitmore pull one back before setting up two goals for Thomas Andrews in a great performance.
It did not take long for Jerviston to settle into the game. They had the first goal of the game after five minutes through Robbie Duddy. Kian Marshall’s skilful play down the left saw him open space to cross low for Duddy who managed to create space between the centre halves and finish into the near post from six yards.
Marshall was looking to be the man to make the difference for Jerviston but an injury midway through the first half unfortunately cut his promising game short. His team mates more than made up for his absence though when Nathan McConnell’s shot smashed against the crossbar after good work by Duddy down the wing.
Carbrain’s first chance came through Lee Whitmore. Some quick feet from Ryan Rooney saw him nutmeg a player and lay the ball off to Whitmore whose shot from 25 yards went narrowly over the bar.
However it was the team in blue who would strike again midway through the first half to double their lead. Duddy was again the scorer as Matthew Sinclair fed the clinical striker with a ball from the edge of the box, Duddy held up the ball before driving inwards and finishing into the far corner with the ‘keeper left standing.
The team in blue nearly had their third when Sinclair linked up with Duddy again with a ball from the left. Duddy cut through the defence but his shot was stopped by the opposition ‘keeper who spread himself to make a big save for Carbrain which would ultimately prove paramount to their success.
  • Half Time:
  • Carbrain BC
  • 0-2
  • Jerviston FC
The second half began very evenly but Jerviston were showing fight again as Sinclair showed determination to chase a backpass which put him through on goal, the eventual chance smothered by the ‘keeper as he was quick off his line.
McConnell showed more flair and composure as he controlled a long ball and smartly cut inside leaving the defender behind. His shot was only just wide of the top right corner and Jerviston were beginning to pile on the pressure again with the attacking players causing problems for the Carbrain defence.
Carbrain ‘keeper Dan Stewart kept his team in the game again as Keiran Lawson’s well placed shot from the left side of the box was destined for the net if not for Stewart diving smartly to his left to make the save.
Jerviston could not further their lead and Carbrain took the initiative, they brought themselves right back into the game on 52 minutes through Whitmore. His determination to win a header from a Kiegan McCrann cross caused problems for the opposition defence and the ball managed to loop over the ‘keeper with his fingertip save unable to stop the ball falling across the line to make it 2-1.
It did not take long for Carbrain to level. A minute later Whitmore this time was the provider as his low cross was tapped in by Thomas Andrews in what was an amazing turn of events. The momentum was against Jerviston and the final stages of the game would prove to be exciting.
Whitmore was having an increasing influence on the game and his pace was proving to be problematic for the opposition. He had another chance as he drove down the wing and his powerful shot to the near post was comfortably saved by Ben McDougall.
Jerviston were left stunned as Carbrain managed to complete their comeback. Whitmore and Andrews created and scored the goal again and their partnership was too hot to handle as Whitmore drove past two defenders with great determination and skill and his low cross was met by his strike partner who blasted it emphatically into the net to put the side that were 2-0 down 20 minutes ago ahead.
The scoreline would stay that way as Carbrain showed great fight to close out the game to claim a memorable victory against tough opposition. Their individual brilliance and team cohesion matched with desire managed to inspire them to come back against a very good side in Jerviston, who were gutted at the final whistle despite their great play and spirit.
  • Full Time:
  • Carbrain BC
  • 3-2
  • Jerviston FC


Carbrain BC
Jerviston FC
1. Dan Stewart
2. Kyle Gold
4. Ryan Duffy
5. Fraser Dawson
6. Zak Maher
7. Declan McGarvey
9. Ryan Rooney
8. Dylan Simpson
10. Lee Whitmore
11. Cameron Connor
12. Dylan Lee
15. Thomas Andrews
16. Kiegan McCrann
1. Ben McDougall
2. Dylan Brannan
5. Dylan Heffernan
6. Kieran Lawson
7. Nathan McConnell
8. Matthew Sinclair
10. Ryan Minmaugh
11. Mitchell Clark
13. Reece Cathcart
20. Dean Bell
22. Luke Higgins
23. Kian Marshall
25. David Sinclair
29. Robbie Duddy
36. Jamie Duddy
Star Player
Carbrain BC
Jerviston FC
Lee Whitmore – key figure in Carbrain’s comeback, 2 assists one goal involved in all three goals, showed great spirit when his team were on the brink of losing.
Robbie Duddy - had a great first half and finished nearly every chance he had. Bagged two goals and nearly had a hat-trick. Great striker
Magic Moment
Carbrain BC
Jerviston FC
Carbrain’s third goal, a very special moment to come back from 2 down to win 3-2 especially with such a great goal. Must have felt very special.
Robbie Duddy's second goal. He did well to create space for himself in the box and managed to keep cool to finish past the 'keeper to put his side two up.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments