Home My YFS

Cumbernauld claim cup-final victory with shootout win over Stenhousemuir

Stenhousemuir CFC 1

Daramola 32

Cumbernauld Colts FC 1

Provan 16
  • Cumbernauld win 4-3 on penalties.
  • Sunday, 31 May 2015
  • Indodrill Stadium, Alloa
  • Under 14´s
  • Robert Paterson Cup

Adam Brown | YFS Central Region Journalist
Author's Bio Articles by Author | [email protected]

Cumbernauld Colts edged out Stenhousemuir Community in the FVFDA Under 14 Robert Paterson Cup Final on Sunday, winning 4-3 on penalties following a tightly contested 1-1 draw in regulation time. Cumbernauld left-back Ross Provan opened the scoring with a 30-yard screamer after 15 minutes. Stenhousemuir levelled the scores on the stroke of half-time when Tiwi Daramola bent in a precise curling effort from the edge of the penalty area. After a nervy second half the scores were still tied at 1-1, meaning the match would be decided on penalties. Cumbernauld were the side who kept their composure, winning the shootout 4-3 in sudden death.

The opening five minutes were fast-paced with both sides creating opportunities in their search for the opening goal. Cumbernauld looked dangerous down the wings with Andrew Tonner and David Dougan each firing menacing crosses into the Stenhousemuir penalty area. Stenhousemuir responded well to the early Cumbernauld threat by going on the offensive themselves. Man of the match Tiwi Daramola won the ball deep inside the Cumbernauld half before driving towards goal and forcing a save from Reece Johnstone.

After the initial period of end-to-end action, much of the action took place in the midfield with neither side creating many chances.

However, Cumbernauld’s Provan was becoming more influential from left-back and opened the scoring out of nowhere on the 16-minute mark. Provan received the ball near the halfway line and advanced into the Stenhousemuir half. He seemingly had not many options available to him and the Stenhousemuir players seemed comfortable with the situation. This proved to be a mistake however, as Provan unleashed a rocket from 30 yards which flew into the top corner leaving Stenhousemuir keeper Nathan Cowan with absolutely no chance.

Provan’s wonder strike seemed to give his opponents a new level of motivation as Stenhousemuir were the team in the ascendency for the remaining 20 minutes of the first half.

Daramola’s defensive work rate was a thorn in the side of the Cumbernauld players as he was a constant nuisance and did not allow his opponents time on the ball. He regained possession in the Cumbernauld half once again and tested the gloves of Johnstone who was unable to hold the shot. Daramola’s strike partner Dylan Young looked to benefit from the spillage, but Johnstone produced an outstanding save to preserve his side’s lead.

Stenhousemuir were a threat from corners throughout the game, mainly due to the quality of Jack Donaldson’s deliveries. His side were unlucky not to draw level from one of his corners with caused all sorts of problems in the Cumbernauld defence. Several Stenhousemuir players had swipes at goal as the ball dropped directly into the danger area, but their efforts were blocked by valiant Cumbernauld defending.

After coming close to losing their lead on more than one occasion, Cumbernauld looked to extend their lead further. Tonner’s cross from the left bounced awkwardly in front of Cowan and the ball was nearly turned home from close range. They went close again soon after when a long ball forward dropped to Dougan whose shot on the turn was deflected just wide of the post.

However, it was Stenhousemuir who claimed the all-important second goal of the game less than five minutes before half time. Donaldson’s corner caused havoc in the Cumbernauld area once again, although they eventually managed to scramble the ball clear of immediate danger. However, it was not cleared far enough as Stenhousemuir kept the ball alive in the final third. The ball was eventually played to Daramola who turned a Cumbernauld defender before curling an outstanding 20-yard effort over the head of a helpless Johnstone.

Daramola’s equaliser was to be the last meaningful action of the half, with the match perfectly poised going into the half time interval.

  • Half Time:
  • Stenhousemuir CFC
  • 1-1
  • Cumbernauld Colts FC

After both sides enjoyed periods of superiority in the first half and with the scores tied, the start of the second period was understandably cagey. Stenhousemuir midfielder Blair Hume’s low left-footed strike from the edge of the box which was well held by Johnstone was the only effort of note in the opening stages of the second half.

However, with the game looking like it was going to have to be decided by penalties, both sides began to throw caution to the wind in the last 10 minutes or so. Cumbernauld’s Kyle Monoghan shot wide from distance, and moments later Rico McCreery’s sliding shot was saved comfortably by Stenhousemuir’s second half keeper Robbie Lyall.

Stenhousemuir responded and looked like they had grabbed a winner in the closing stages. Daramola was involved once again showing good feet in the final third and moving the ball on to Max Rintoul. His defence-splitting pass found Young who had found space between Cumbernauld defenders before smashing an unstoppable shot in off of the crossbar. However, to Stenhousemuir’s despair, the linesman had raised his flag ruling the goal out for offside.

The last chance of the match also fell to Stenhousemuir. Kieran McKinnon’s shot flashed just over the bar after tenacious work from Daramola down the left flank.

After a close, tightly contested contest in which both sides had chances and periods of supremacy, neither side could have too many complaints about the 1-1 scoreline which was fair on the balance of play.

  • Full Time:
  • Stenhousemuir CFC
  • 1-1
  • Cumbernauld Colts FC

The sides were evenly matched in the shootout after three penalties each with the scores tied at 2-2; Lyall and Johnstone both saving the third penalties which they faced. With the scores tied at 3-3 after five penalties each, the teams entered sudden death.

Tonner was given the opportunity to seal victory for Cumbernauld by making it 4-3. He kept his cool and clinched the cup emphatically as his penalty flew into the roof of the net off the underside of the crossbar.

Final Result: Cumbernauld win 4-3 on penalties.


Stenhousemuir CFC
Cumbernauld Colts FC
1. Robbie Lyall
2. Logan Smith
3. Cameron Dick
4. Christopher Silvers
6. Jack Donaldson
7. Dylan Young
8. Jake Shearer
10. Kyle Millar
11. Tiwi Daramola
12. Ross Buchanan
14. Blair Hume
15. Jack Stevenson
16. Kieran McKinnon
18. Mitchell Wallace
19. Nathan Cowan
20. Max Rintoul
1. Reece Johnstone
2. Stuart Provan
3. Ross Provan
4. Aiden Conway
5. Danny Veitch
6. Andrew Tonner
7. Matthew Doogan
8. Kyle Monaghan
9. Jack Trainer
10. Ryan Moir
11. David Dougan
12. Rico McCreery
14. Cameron Maclean
16. Leo Stoddart
21. Callum Stackpool
Star Player
Stenhousemuir CFC
Cumbernauld Colts FC
Tiwi Daramola - Was named the FVFDA man of the match. Linked up well with strike partner Dylan Young and was Stenhousemuir's main threat going forward. Worked very hard, particularly in the first half and scored an excellent goal.
Kyle Monoghan - Grew into the game in the second half with a powerful, gritty display in the centre of midfield. Looked like he would be the one to create an opening for a Cumbernauld winner.
Magic Moment
Stenhousemuir CFC
Cumbernauld Colts FC
Daramola's wonderful turn and subsequent curling effort which brought his side level at 1-1 going into half time.
Provan's first half screamer: no one was expecting him to shoot from that far out, let alone find the top corner.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments