Home My YFS

Addison the hero in Riverside penalty shoot-out glory

Riverside FC 0

East Stirlingshire FC 0

  • Sunday, 24 May 2015
  • Recreation Park, Alloa
  • Under 16´s
  • FVFDA League Cup Final

Jack Thomson | YFS Falkirk Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Riverside FC met East Stirlingshire in the FVFDA League Cup Final at Recreation Park with both sets of spectators nervously anticipating the occasion. The same could be said for the players as the match kicked off in frantic fashion with neither side able to gain a solid foothold in the encounter during the early stages.

Riverside perhaps had more of the initial proceedings winning a series of free-kicks and exerting consistent pressure in the final third, but were just unable to find the end product. The first clear cut opportunity of the match would arrive in the 9th minute when Riverside’s Alex Parkin struck a low effort on target from the edge of the box with Shire defending well to block for a corner. An inswinging corner was delivered and Scott Mitchell rose highest to power a bullet header on to the bar before Shire managed to scramble the ball clear. An inch lower and Riverside would have had the opener they so craved. 

The boys in red were encouraged and began to dominate. Good possession in the 13th minute culminated in Parkin having a pop at goal from outside of the area. Dipping towards the target with pace, the effort forced a top class save from Mark Gordon. The Shire goalkeeper acrobatically tuning the ball over the bar with one hand. 

Riverside continued to ask questions of Shire with Parkin hitting a free-kick right of centre from twenty yards against the wall. The rebound would fall to Steven Welsh who fired into the stand. 

A few opportunities for Riverside seemed to catalyse a reaction from East Stirlingshire as they flooded forward in numbers. In the 23rd minute Ciaran Barr played an excellent reverse through ball into the feet of Scott Shand but Addison was off his line quickly to smother at his feet. Arguably the best chance of the match would then fall to Shire’s Jason Weir in the 25th minute, the Shire player broke clear on goal but could only fire straight at the goalkeeper’s feet.

Alex Parkin entertained the fans with neat footwork but both teams cancelled one another out with only a single half chance to come before the interval. Shand teed the ball back for Weir but his effort was swept over the bar from range.

  • Half Time:
  • Riverside FC
  • 0-0
  • East Stirlingshire FC

Chances were to prove few and far between in the second half as the match wore on. An early snapshot from Parkin was gathered comfortably by Gordon minutes before a Riverside free-kick sailed high and wide. 

Both sides struggled to maintain possession with frustrations beginning to grow at the frequent turnovers on display. Lewis Metcalfe tried to impact proceedings with teasing running and general all-round positive play but was neutralised by the compact defending of the Shire team.

In one of the only attacks of note Finlay MacKenzie burst down the right flank with pace in the 71st minute but his whipped cross was not met by any of his teammates. 

With three minutes left on the clock before the tie would be sentence to a penalty shootout, Stephen Weston did well to win Riverside a corner. MacKenzie made contact with the deep cross on the volley but the effort wasn’t clean enough to trouble East Stirling as Gordon collected.

  • Full Time:
  • Riverside FC
  • 0-0
  • East Stirlingshire FC
It looked promising for East Stirling after the first two kicks with Gordon producing an excellent two handed stop to keep out Mackenzie's penalty before Jay Buist slotted bottom left beyond the outstretched arm of Addison.

With the following two efforts both saved by the respective goalkeepers, Riverside's Weston slotted his penalty right of centre to level the shootout. Allan was next to step up to the spot and Addison produced a fine stop.

Riverside's Scott Mitchell was calmness personified as he rolled his kick with the inside of his foot into the bottom right corner. In an interesting set of circumstances the Shire goalkeeper was then tasked with the responsibility of levelling up the shootout but his effort was blazed over the bar.

It came down to Daniel Gilbride to secure the cup and he did so with aplomb, burying his penalty into the bottom left corner to make it 3-1.

Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos &emdash;


Riverside FC
East Stirlingshire FC
1. William Addison
2. Ewan Cumming
3. Kyle Munro
5. Scott Mitchell
6. Josh Stobbart
7. Alex Parkin
8. Finlay MacKenzie
9. Daniel Gilbride
10. Stephen Weston
11. Lewis Metcalfe
15. Steven Welsh
17. Fraser Bell
18. Lewis Woloszyn
19. Andrew Heron
20. Stuart Macnally
1. Mark Gordon
3. Cameron Meek
4. Jake Collie
5. Jay Buist
6. Scott Shand
7. Logan Allan
8. Ciaran Barr
9. Tommy Airlie
10. Matthew Wright
11. Jason Weir
15. Andrew Stowe
17. Boris Hurny
19. Matthew Macleod
Star Player
Riverside FC
East Stirlingshire FC
Alex Parkin - his trickery, footwork and technique was a delight to behold.
Mark Gordon - produced a number of fine saves to keep the tie at 0-0 and continued to excel in the penalty shootout.
Magic Moment
Riverside FC
East Stirlingshire FC
Scott Mitchell's bullet header on to the bar showed excellent technique and was the closest the occasion came to witnessing a goal.
Gordon's fine reaction save in the first half to turn Parkin's effort over the bar was a truly fine piece of goalkeeping.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments