Home My YFS

Wishaw WW take all three points against Larkhall

Written by  Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers

Fixture: Larkhall United v Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Competition: Under 16's Lanarkshire FDA "A" League
Date: 15/02/15
Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers under 16's got back to League business after a two month break and were made battle all the way against a strong Larkhall team. Conditions were near perfect considering the recent weather, a bit cold to start but warmed up as the game went on.
The home team started well, although Wishaw WW defence stood strong to all that came their way. The boys eventually found their feet and created a couple of good chances which the home keeper produced a couple of really good stops.
Wishaw would take the lead midway through the half when Pow collected and unleashed an unstoppable shot from about thirty yards. Wishaw WW continued to press to double their advantage, although it would be the home team that levelled ten minutes before the break when the ball broke inside the area and their striker tapped the ball home.
Wishaw pressed again to retake the lead and were unlucky when a neat move involving a through ball from Leonard to Torrance he laid the ball back to on rushing Kyle to the who pulled his effort just wide of the target.
Half Time : Larkhall United 1-1 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Wishaw WW changed a bit going into the second period and again were the ones looking the more likely to grab a second. They eventually went in front when the hard working Kyle was felled in the box. Leonard stepped up to take the penalty and drove the ball home into the corner.
Wishaw WW continued to press but would again be caught out when the home team equalised with what looked like an offside goal which the ref failed to spot and again the game was level going into the last fifteen minutes.
With the game level Larkhall were looking confident and had a couple of corners which the defence again stood strong against.
The game was entering its final minutes and this goal was worth the wait. Left back Monks stepped up on the left. He took the ball forward and unleashed an unstoppable shot from about thirty yards into the far top corner to give Wishaw the lead once more.
At this point the boys seemed to believe they could score again to make the game safe. They were awarded a free kick on the right when Watson was felled. Pow floated in a great free kick which was volleyed home at the far post by Kyle to ensure the three points were heading back over the Clyde to Wishaw.
This was a hard fought win and no more than the boys deserved for the way they just kept going. Larkhall made it very difficult and should also take a lot from the game for the rest of the season.
Full Time : Larkhall United 2-4 Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Login to post comments