Home My YFS

Kilsyth Athletic go through after killing off Kirkintilloch

Written by  Kilsyth Athletic

Fixture: Kirkintilloch Rob Roy v Kilsyth Athletic
Competition: CSFA Open Knockout Cup
Date: 14/02/15
Kicking off in ideal weather conditions, Kilsyth quickly moved into a good rhythm, pinning Rob Roy back and dominating territory with some good inter-passing in midfield.
From one firm through ball out of defence, Rob Roy’s defence struggled to clear and a foul was awarded when the goalkeeper picked up from a passback. A hard shot was saved but this led to a stramash with Daniel Haughey firing home to give Kilsyth a well deserved lead.
Rob Roy’s occasional forays into the Kilsyth half presented some dangerous moments but were well handled by Kilsyth’s defence. However, Kilsyth maintained the upper hand and pressured for a series of corners.  
From one of the corners, Daniel Haughey was fouled; from the resultant penalty, Rob Roy’s goalkeeper saved well and the rebound was cleared to safety.
This escape seemed to galvanise Rob Roy and they came strongly back into the game, showing signs of promise on the right flank, with Aidan Belton, the Kilsyth goalkeeper, making a fine stop after a good through ball.  
Ironically, just as Rob Roy looked as if they were beginning to exert some control, Kilsyth went down the other end and forced Rob Roy’s keeper into a wonderful reaction save from Jack Rundell’s powerful shot. From the corner Ewan Abercrombie, Kilsyth’s centre half, converted a difficult header to give Kilsyth their second goal.
Rob Roy did not buckle and responded well, grabbing a goal back when the ball was played deep down the right flank; the cross was partially blocked but landed at number 11’s feet and he slotted it into the back of the net as the Kilsyth defence was posted missing.
As the half time whistle blew, with Kilsyth 1-2 in front, Rob Roy had a toe-hold in the game and posed an increasing threat.
Half Time : Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 1-1 Kilsyth Athletic
At the start of the second half, both midfields battled for supremacy but it was Kilsyth who were more direct and they started to create more chances, but a combination of alert goalkeeping, spurned opportunities and sheer bad luck prevented Kilsyth from converting pressure into goals.
Rob Roy were by no means out of it but stout defending from Kilsyth prevented them from having clear cut chances. 
Finally Kilsyth scored a third and final goal, when a long ball was clipped over Rob Roy’s defence and Daniel Haughey ran onto it and smashed home from just outside the six-yard box. Kilsyth maintained their effort and remained dominant until the final whistle.
A hard fought victory for Kilsyth but a fair result which sends them through to the quarter final of the CSFA Open Knockout Cup.
Full Time : Kirkintilloch Rob Roy 1-3 Kilsyth Athletic
Login to post comments