Home My YFS

Milton maintain top spot after defeating Gairdoch

Written by  Milton FC

Fixture: Gairdoch United v Milton FC
Competition: Under 14's Forth Valley FDL
Venue: Alva Academy
Date: 31/01/15
Milton 2001 visited Gairdoch on Saturday 31st January at Alva Academy to try and maintain their excellent recent form and stay top of the Forth Valley League.
Both teams deserve an enormous amount of credit for the football which was on show as the match in its entirety was played in in horrendously windy conditions.
Milton played with the wind at their back in the first half and this assisted them in settling into the match quickly and dictating the play. Conditions were extremely difficult for both sides with Gairdoch struggling to get up the park but also many of Milton's excellent through balls into the channels being carried out the pitch by the strong wind.
An early corner for Milton however, which was earned by Cairney and swung in from the left by Ryan, was met superbly in the air by Palmer who bulleted the header home from 8 yards.
With their tails now up, Milton continued to press and only dogged desperate defence from Gairdoch restricted Milton's chances until half way into the 1st half when Tilley popped up in a very busy penalty area, to steer the ball home for a well deserved 2-0 half time lead.
Half Time : Gairdoch United 0-2 Milton
With the teams changing ends, it was now Milton who had to withstand severe Gairdoch pressure, as well as the forceful wind in their faces and, only determined and disciplined defence at the back and stubborn support from the Milton midfielders managed to keep Gairdoch at bay.
After ten minutes Milton started to get a grip on things as they managed to adjust to the changing conditions. Milton began more and more to threaten Gairdoch, especially on the counter attack, with Morrow coming close to scoring on several occasions after some superb through balls and great passing play out of defence and through midfield.
Mid-way through the second half came the third goal for Milton and it originated from another Ryan corner which was played into a packed six yard box, Milton defender Garry, after some determined play, managed to bundle the ball into the net despite the desperate efforts of the defence.
With time running out, Gairdoch continued to press although Milton were always looking threatening on the breakaway, still aiming for a fourth & "killer" goal.
With only a few minutes left however, Gairdoch managed to carve open a rare clear opportunity which Milton keeper Wallace managed to superbly save only to see the rebound fall at the feet of a Gairdoch striker who managed to make the most of his chance and guide the ball home.
As the final whistle blew, both teams were delighted to get back to a warm dressing room and reflect on a game which was exciting and of a high standard despite the at times, atrocious conditions.
Full Time : Gairdoch United 1-3 Milton 
Login to post comments