Home My YFS

Cumbernauld beat battling Broxburn in nine goal thriller

Written by 


Broxburn Athletic Colts
Cumbernauld Colts
U14's Scottish Cup
26 October 2014
With a place in the fourth round in the Scottish Cup at stake, these two sides headed into the match unbeaten in all competitions since the start of the new season. 
The quality and resolve of both teams was to be tested from the first whistle, with the teams having to battle with terrible weather conditions. 
The match got off to a scrappy start with both teams figuring out how to cope with the conditions but the game calmed down and some decent football started to emerge from both teams. There were opportunities to score at either end of the pitch but the chances were squandered until midway through the first half when Cumbernauld midfielder Tonner put the visitors’ one nil up.
Cumbernauld started dominating from then playing some good football and restricting the home side to a couple of half chances that the Cumbernauld defence dealt with well. With the second half heading into stoppage time and still only a goal in it Cumbernauld striker Trainer showed some excellent skill at the corner flag to beat the defender, who was favourite to win the ball, and set up Monaghan in the box to give Cumbernauld a two goal cushion going into the break.
Half Time: Broxburn Athletic Colts 0-2 Cumbernauld Colts 
The second half got underway and Broxburn were quick out of the blocks, scoring minutes after the restart giving them a way back into the match. The game became stretched and with both goalkeepers doing well to keep the score as it was, Trainer was through on the Broxburn goal and with only the keeper to beat was brought down just outside the box. Cumbernauld’ midfielder Rico McCreery stepped up to take the free kick and, using the wind to his advantage, superbly beat the wall and netted into the keeper’s bottom right hand corner restoring Cumbernauld’ two goal lead.
As the clock ticked down with both teams still having a go, some great skill from winger Dougan leading to more Colts chances and great counter attacking play from Broxburn made this game end to end and a great spectacle for the neutral.
Legs were beginning to tire and with Cumbernauld' midfield generals Tonner and Monaghan getting caught out of position too high up the pitch, there was plenty of space for Broxburn to get a hold of the ball in some dangerous areas.
Broxburn threatened the Cumbernauld goal on a number of occasions and eventually breached the visitors’ defence and pulled the score line back to 2-3. The home side pressed for a late equaliser and were rewarded in the dying minutes when the ball landed at the feet of their tall striker in his own half. With great skill he was able to run fully 60 yards evading a number of Cumbernauld’ challenges before slotting the ball home past a despairing Stackpool to force extra time. 
Full Time: Broxburn Athletic Colts 3-3 Cumbernauld Colts
The first period of extra time got underway and the home side picked up from where they left off threatening the Cumbernauld goal on a number of occasions with only a brilliant goal line clearance from Cumbernauld' defender McLean, sprinting at least 20 yards, to keep the score line level. This proved to be a turning point as the away side then began to get a hold of the ball and press for a goal themselves, and did exactly that when left back Ross Provan nipped in at the front post to glance a fine header past the Broxburn goalkeeper to make the score line 3-4. 
Cumbernauld then began to dominate, playing some excellent football and creating a lot of great chances which eventually saw Trainer put Colts 3-5 up. Broxburn though were not disheartened and continued to search for a way back into the match which saw Cumbernauld goalkeeper Stackpool called into action on a number of occasions. With the game still very much end to end, and both teams having goal scoring opportunities the ball once again fell to striker Trainer who scored his second and Cumbernauld’ sixth of the match leaving the score 3-6 going into half time in extra time.
The second half of extra time got going and Broxburn, still trying to at least force penalties, saw their striker through on goal only to be thwarted by an excellent one on one save by Stackpool. As the game was nearing an end Cumbernauld were beginning to look comfortable in possession with midfielders Doogan and Stoddart working very hard to keep the ball in the opposition half.
The referee was then to call time on an enthralling cup tie which sees Cumbernauld Colts progress to the next round. An excellent match between two great sides who can both take pride in their performances knowing that nothing was left out on the pitch. 
After Extra Time: Broxburn Athletic Colts 3-6 Cumbernauld Colts
Login to post comments