Home My YFS

Broxburn kill off Kilwinning in extra time to book place in next round

Broxburn Athletic Colts 3

Turner 71, Henderson 95, Nimmo 115

Kilwinning Rangers 1

Campbell 67
  • Sunday, 26 October 2014
  • Albyn Park
  • Under 19´s
  • Scottish Cup
Broxburn Athletic Colts hosted Kilwinning Rangers at the impressive Albyn Park this weekend. On paper, I was bound to be in for a very good game as both sides were unbeaten in their respective leagues.
The game got underway with both teams keeping the ball on the deck, looking to pass the ball about, despite the strong winds that were blowing a gale.
The game was certainly of a high tempo and on eight minutes Scott Lochrie of Broxburn tested George Scott in the Kilwinning goal, who held the shot well. 
This lively start from Broxburn saw them keep Kilwinning pinned back in their half and just a minute later a pass back from the Kilwinning captain Aiden Julyen was cleared by his keeper, only as far as Ross Nimmo of Broxburn, who chose to shoot at the open goal first time, but his shot went wide of the target. 
Kilwinning were next to go close after Ryan Gilmour won the ball from a Broxburn midfielder, but his shot whistled past Craig Livingstone' post, much to his relief. 
On fourteen minutes Scott Lochrie showed good work to beat two men and play in Sweeney, who's shot was blazed high and wide, with the goalkeeper beaten. 
Ross Nimmo continued to look very dangerous for Broxburn and was proving to be a handful for the Kilwinning defence, he showed great determination on sixteen minutes to beat his man and unleash a powerful shot, which was turned behind by a Kilwinning defender for a corner. 
Broxburn began to look like a goal was bound to come their way very soon and Kilwinning were being restricted to long range shots, which did not trouble the Broxburn keeper much. However, he will have been glad to see Darren Spence of Kilwinning' bullet effort fly just past the post. 
Nimmo came one on one with the Kilwinning keeper on twenty four minutes, after a lofted ball over the defence from Lochrie saw Nimmo attempt to chip the Kilwinning keeper, who was able to back track and grasp Nimmo' effort with ease. 
Jonni Turner was next to go close on twenty six minutes for Broxburn as his effort sailed just over the Kilwinning cross bar.
Kilwinning almost seen themselves go one up, only a minute later after a clearence from the Broxburn keeper rebounded of the Kilwinning striker, Stephen Campbell. But, luckily for Broxburn the ball flew over the bar. 
Turner done well on thirty minutes to dispossess the Kilwinning captain Aidan Julyan, he switched the ball across the box to Nimmo who's effort was dragged wide of the target. 
Broxburn were beginning to become frustrated with themselves, as chance after chance resulted in no goal. 
On forty one minutes the Kilwinning keeper saved very well with his feet after Turner managed to turn in the box and rifle and effort towards goal, but the keeper was equal to his effort and Kilwinning cleared the danger. 
  • Half Time:
  • Broxburn Athletic Colts
  • 0-0
  • Kilwinning Rangers
The second half came with Broxburn playing with the advantage of the wind this half. Surely, they must have been thinking it would help them a bit, however Kilwinning came more into the game and the wind was to be of no help to Broxburn.
The two sides battled it out in the midfield as there were far fewer chances in this half. But, the game stayed just as exciting as it was either teams for the taking.
Ross Nimmo drove forward on fifty seven minutes as he broke away his Kilwinning counterpart on the right wing, but his dangerous ball across the Kilwinning six yard box was missed by everyone and went out for a Kilwinning throw. 
The referee left the home support in outrage after Turner of Broxburn was called offside with only the keeper to beat. However, as the game went on he did make a couple of strange decisions against both teams. 
On sixty five minutes Kilwinning earned themselves a free kick just outside the Broxburn box, Stephen Campbell stepped up and hit a very powerful shot over the wall which the wind certainly caught as Livingstone in the Broxburn goal was unable to hold it, but a superb last ditch tackle from a Broxburn defender prevented Kilwinning from taking advantage of this. 
On sixty seven minutes there was to be a goal. It was Kilwinning who were to score this, after a smart save from Livingstone saw the ball rebound to Stephen Campbell who headed the ball home to put his side ahead. 
Broxburn certainly began to regret not tucking away their chances created in the first half. 
The Kilwinning side were certainly spirited after going up, and seeked to hold this lead. However, it was not to be. On seventy one minutes excellent play from Nimmo in the Kilwinning box saw him cut the ball back to Turner who was waiting at the back post to tap the ball in ahead of the Kilwinning keeper. Kilwinning felt that the Broxburn equaliser was offside and there were a few players protesting furiously to the referee. 
Broxburn almost went ahead on seventy nine minutes after a shot from Nimmo took a bounce before the Kilwinning keeper and the ball slipped through his grasp. Fortunately for him the ball smacked the post and Kilwinning were able to clear the danger.
With only two minutes remaining Broxburn saw themselves have a free kick in a very dangerous area, just a few yards outside the Kilwinning box. Up stepped Turner, who's fantastic curling effort flew just past the post, much to the disbelief of a home supporter who let out possibly the loudest roar I have heard after thinking the ball had snuck in the net. 
However, extra time was needed as the referee blew the whistle to signal the end of the ninety minutes. 
  • Full Time:
  • Broxburn Athletic Colts
  • 1-1
  • Kilwinning Rangers
Extra time began with both teams eager to get themselves ahead and both showing great desire to go on and win the tie.

Five minutes into extra time, Broxburn were to go ahead. Fantastic play from Nimmo once again saw him drag the ball back to Jamie Henderson who was waiting in yards of space, to smash the ball past the Kilwinning keeper who had no chance. Much to the delight of the Broxburn squad, coaches and supporters.

A very important incident in the tie was about to happen. Kilwinning seeked to reply to Broxburn going ahead, and five minutes later a cross/shot from the Kilwinning winger was cleared off the Broxburn line. Only as far as the awaiting Kilwinning striker who's header hit the bar and dropped down, bouncing possibly over the goal line. Broxburn cleared the ball and Kilwinning were in outrage as they believed the ball had crossed the line. However, the referee shrugged of their claims and the game remained 2-1 to Broxburn.

The teams switched half's to continue the remainder of extra time in what was a very, very exciting game.

Broxburn were keen to hold onto their lead, as well extending it, and five minutes into the second period of extra time, they were given the perfect opportunity to do so after they were awarded a penalty after the Kilwinning keeper took out Ross Nimmo, who was certain to score.

Nimmo stepped up to take the spot kick and fired the ball past the keeper to put his side 3-1 up.

Kilwinning were unable to reply as Broxburn stood strong at the back, pushing back any Kilwinning pressure. The referee blew his whistle for the end of the tie, which signalled a deserved but controversial win for Broxburn.

What a game of football this was, both teams put on an excellent contest, which had a lot of excitement straight from the first whistle. Broxburn were certainly relieved that they were able to come back from behind after wasting so many opportunities in the first half and I would not be surprised if their side went far in the competition.


Broxburn Athletic Colts
Kilwinning Rangers
1. Craig Livingstone
2. James McGregor
3. Marcus Millar
5. Jordan Grieve
6. Leon Gopal
7. Ross Nimmo
8. Jamie Henderson
9. Greg Sneddon
10. Scott Lochrie
11. Jonni Turner
12. Kyle Butt
15. Kyle Gray
1. George Scott
2. Josh Williamson
3. Aiden Julyan
4. Rhys Wallace
5. Darren Spence
7. Shaun Murtagh
8. Lewis Hunter
9. Kristopher Mason
10. Stephen Campbell
11. Ryan Gilmour
14. Bryce Barrie
15. Patrick Hammil
16. Calvin Kemp
Star Player
Broxburn Athletic Colts
Kilwinning Rangers
Too close to call as Turner and Nimmo were both excellent for Broxburn. Both, looked very dangerous and caused havoc for the Kilwinning defence the whole game.
Darren Spence was the danger man for Kilwinning as he always looked to drive forward, beating men. He was also unlucky with a couple of his efforts which went wide.
Magic Moment
Broxburn Athletic Colts
Kilwinning Rangers
Jamie Henderson's goal to put Broxburn ahead was brilliant. Great play from Nimmo was equaled with a fantastic finish.
The goal to put Kilwinning one up was a magic moment, after soaking up the Broxburn pressure the Kilwinning side done brilliantly to go ahead.
Club Views
Broxburn Athletic Colts
Kilwinning Rangers
Darren Pegg, coach of Broxburn said:

"I think we played really well against a strong wind in the first half, creating a number of great opportunities. The second half Kilwinning came into the game more. We showed great character to come back from 1-0 down and go on to win the game."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments